Pulsing Xenia shriveled, deflated, and not pulsing

Thanos

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was the first coral I added to my 65 gallon softy/LPS reef tank, and for the first year or so it seemed to do well and quickly took over the island I put it on. I'm a college student so I'm out of town for most of the year while my parents take care of the tank, and when I got back from college last month I noticed the Xenia appeared to be in really bad condition. The "petals" are shriveled and almost twisted when viewed up close, the Xenia no longer pulses, and when the 2 Nero 3's on each side of the tank are turned off, the thing basically deflates and flops over the rockwork, still not pulsing (as seen in the attached pictures). Parameter checks showed nothing out of the ordinary; considering that it's Xenia I assumed low nitrates but tests with an API kit showed it to be around 5 ppm, and the ongoing Cyano issue on the sandbed also makes me think it's not a lack of nutrients.

All of my other corals are doing really well, which further confuses me. My Zoas, Hammer, GSP, and Leptastrea all seem to be really healthy and have grown rapidly and the only other coral in the tank that hasn't been growing a ton is the toadstool leather above the Xenia, but it doesn't look like it's dying by any means. Additionally, there's a non-pulsing Xenia variety on the other end of the tank and it looks really healthy, so I'm really stumped as to what's going on.

IMG_20230708_174810480.jpg IMG_20230708_174818493.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
This was the first coral I added to my 65 gallon softy/LPS reef tank, and for the first year or so it seemed to do well and quickly took over the island I put it on. I'm a college student so I'm out of town for most of the year while my parents take care of the tank, and when I got back from college last month I noticed the Xenia appeared to be in really bad condition. The "petals" are shriveled and almost twisted when viewed up close, the Xenia no longer pulses, and when the 2 Nero 3's on each side of the tank are turned off, the thing basically deflates and flops over the rockwork, still not pulsing (as seen in the attached pictures). Parameter checks showed nothing out of the ordinary; considering that it's Xenia I assumed low nitrates but tests with an API kit showed it to be around 5 ppm, and the ongoing Cyano issue on the sandbed also makes me think it's not a lack of nutrients.

All of my other corals are doing really well, which further confuses me. My Zoas, Hammer, GSP, and Leptastrea all seem to be really healthy and have grown rapidly and the only other coral in the tank that hasn't been growing a ton is the toadstool leather above the Xenia, but it doesn't look like it's dying by any means. Additionally, there's a non-pulsing Xenia variety on the other end of the tank and it looks really healthy, so I'm really stumped as to what's going on.

IMG_20230708_174810480.jpg IMG_20230708_174818493.jpg
get them off the bottom and into mid tank region in area of moderate light and moderate-med water flow
Water change may perk them up otherwise adding iron and manganese will perk them up

OP
OP
T

Thanos

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
get them off the bottom and into mid tank region in area of moderate light and moderate-med water flow
Given the setup of the tank, moving them up really isn't possible. I don't think lack of lighting is an issue since I've only increased it slowly since starting the tank, and it's directly under a powerhead and the wall opposite of the return nozzle so it should be getting a lot of flow where it's at rn.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The “on-going Cyano issue” can be triggered by zero nutrients, N and/or P. I see N at 5ppm which is good. What’s P for the record?
Looks very unhappy, starving?
They like higher nutrient tanks and white light.

MyFirstCar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not a coral expert, so listen to these other super great voices in this forum, but whenever I have a mystery problem, change/add carbon and a 25% water change are my go to.

OP
OP
T

Thanos

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll try to raise nitrates as these comments suggest to see if that helps. Just last night I just found a large vermetid snail in the center of the colony, that for months I had mistaken for a dead Xenia stalk. Is it possible that this is the cause of the problem?

Reef By Steele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
I'll try to raise nitrates as these comments suggest to see if that helps. Just last night I just found a large vermetid snail in the center of the colony, that for months I had mistaken for a dead Xenia stalk. Is it possible that this is the cause of the problem?
I wouldn’t think it was causing that much of a problem for Xenia. Mine acts up when I neglect my water changes and think it needs the extras from the salt.

dnb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stalks seem very thin, meaning it's stretching for light... how's the flow..., do they sway back n forth? Or just getting pounded in one direction? I get a strong boost feeding cyclops to get a quick recovery from my emporer angel feeding off them... sand level does seem to be toughest on them, but they will certainly adapt

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 29.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 35.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 26.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 6.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.5%
Back