upload_2018-4-6_11-36-26.png

I think it was Platys.

Michelle G

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so is Pulsing Xenia toxic or not????? can someone PLEASE REPLY.....
why is this story going around the world and no one is correcting the story?

zieg9479

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

No. Here is a source (Pelin et al. (2016) Marine Drugs 14(2)):
"Among the different species of decorative soft corals, such as Sarcophyton, Sinularia, Nephthya, Cladiella, Xenia, Palythoa, and Zoanthus species [76,77], those belonging to the last two genera are widely used due to their colorful and ornamental features [55,78]. The latter are known to accumulate PLTX [2,54] and/or its analogs, such as 42S-OH-50S-PLTX isolated from P. toxica [14], 42S-OH-50R-PLTX identified in P. tuberculosa [15], and deoxy-PLTX isolated from P. heliodiscus [55]."

"At the beginning of 1960s, Prof. Helfrich discovered the exact location of this place, as well as the “toxic algae”, found to be a soft coral belonging to the genus Palythoa (P. toxica). Thus, the toxin identified in this zoanthid ten years later by Prof. Scheuer was called palytoxin [1]....
...the interconnections between PLTX and soft corals have progressively lost their strength since the toxin and a series of its analogs have been subsequently identified in other marine organisms, phylogenetically very different from cnidaria, such as dinoflagellates, cyanobacteria, and edible vertebrates and invertebrates...
...To explain PLTX’s presence in phylogenetically-different species, some authors proposed bacteria as producing organisms and a possible common source of these toxins. With this respect, Frolova et al. [8], using anti-PLTX antibodies, detected PLTX-like compounds in Gram-negative Aeromonas sp. and Vibrio sp. bacteria. Similarly, bacteria isolated from Palythoa caribaeorum were found to display a PLTX-like hemolytic activity [9]. In addition, PLTX and 42-hydroxy-PLTX were isolated from marine Trichodesmium spp. cyanobacteria [10]. However, a clear definition of the actual producing organism of PLTX is still a matter of debate."
To be clear, there is no known occurrence in the scientific literature of palytoxins, within soft coral, outside of the zoanthus and palythoa genera.
However it has been speculated by others in the peer review literature that, due to the closed nature of aquaria, it may be possible that once palytoxins are produced, it can be spread and bioaccumulate in the tissue of corals that would otherwise not produce palytoxin. This is analagous to how fish have been known to accumulate palytoxin.

The article didn't describe their reef. Even if they had zoanthids, most aquarists are actually poisoned by Dinos according to toxicology reports.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Zoa, Yes.......xenia- NO

norfolkgarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have an idea which zoanthids might contain paly toxin?
So far the flame angelfish says none.

I always thought it was just the larger paly's that contain paly toxin.
d061f110e6902a4e4d327885cf79fccb.jpg
c1891c5d6e1387ec6a4f3141e5ae98f6.jpg
73c30b04e61876fb676f39579dc9db14.jpg

Jeepguy242

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

the same reason stories go on about guns kill people.... it makes the news juicy.... just saying people kill people isn't juicy enough...

Amy Yates

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah it is true the article happened over here in the UK, I think that’s the problem with the knowledge outlet to find these answers to questions about corals etc.... you can spend hours searching and trolling and find nothing of any use.

I didn’t personally think PX could have this effect

Lninwa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I pulled all my Xenia out of my 55 gal. dang I think some of it I put in the garbage disposal. Never had a problem

Ayn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m a newbie and this is pretty confusing. I just added Xenia and worried I should toss it. I wish this man who claims it was Xenia could be contacted to get a more detailed clear story. The press does have a history of messing up news!

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol, our flame angelfish disagrees with you.

Ok, are there any zoas known to have *more* paly toxin than others?
There are more potent palytoxin in certain zoa/palys but I don't which varients. Just remember though, just because a fish isn't affected by eating the zoa or paly doesn't mean there not toxic to us.

DanConnor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m a newbie and this is pretty confusing. I just added Xenia and worried I should toss it. I wish this man who claims it was Xenia could be contacted to get a more detailed clear story. The press does have a history of messing up news!

You don't have to worry about this guys opinion because he is clueless. And the journalist didn't bother to do any research. End of story.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never heard one report of Xenia’s being toxic until now. IMO, it was probably Palythoa or Zooanthids in the tank that poisoned them.

I’m very aware of the risks involved with Palythoa and Zooanthids. Although Zooanthids due seem to be mildly toxic compared to Palythoa which is sometimes extremely toxic. For this reason I’ve never kept any of these corals in my reef and don’t intend to. The toxin can be absorbed through the skin or become airborne by (most commonly) boiling the rock. It can also become airborne if the rocks are placed in hot water, pressure washed, even by cutting with high powered saws, etc. The risk is minimal using a saw, but the risk is still there. Never pressure wash your tank or rocks. Pressure washing creates tiny particles that you can easily inhale and become affected. You “might be” Safe if you wore a 3M painters mask with “Vapor Filters”, but I wouldn’t try it unless more research was done. IMO even “Micro bubbling” could cause this toxin to become airborne, but I’m a Respiratory Therapist and deal with tiny particles on a daily basis so most people probably wouldn’t consider this.

Julian Sprung had an incident where he became affected by skin absorption and you can find that video on YouTube. It’s called “The Power of Palythoa.” This specific group of Palythoa were extremely toxic and nearly nuked two tanks. Definitely nuked one tank and killed basically everything.

Although I don’t think the Xenia’s affected this couple, I did hear this report and definitely take it very seriously. I’ll be listening for any further evidence or reports about Xenia’s possibly being toxic.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back