Pump Grouping & Position Question

Joeg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hoping someone can offer some advice for my setup because I'm questioning whether I need multiple pump groups.

I have a 60 cube with these pumps in this orientation.

#1 - XF330 Gyre on the back wall in the left left corner, mid height in the tank, oriented vertically.
#2 - XF330 Gyre on the back wall in the right corner, mid height in the tank, oriented vertically.
#3 - Icecap 2K Gyre on the back wall in the middle of the tank, approx 8 inches from top rim, oriented horizontally.

In the Hydros app I have these set up in 1 group with the 2 XF330's each set to a position of "Opposite End" and the Icecap 2k in the same group and set to "Back"

Since this is a new tank that is cyclin without fish or corals right now I can't visually tell if this is the setup I want with regard to the groups and position settings. I guess I'm mostly wondering if these pumps should each be in their own group or maybe just the Icecap in it's own group.

Anyone have an opinion for what might work best to provide some varied flow?

Michael@CoralVue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hoping someone can offer some advice for my setup because I'm questioning whether I need multiple pump groups.

I have a 60 cube with these pumps in this orientation.

#1 - XF330 Gyre on the back wall in the left left corner, mid height in the tank, oriented vertically.
#2 - XF330 Gyre on the back wall in the right corner, mid height in the tank, oriented vertically.
#3 - Icecap 2K Gyre on the back wall in the middle of the tank, approx 8 inches from top rim, oriented horizontally.

In the Hydros app I have these set up in 1 group with the 2 XF330's each set to a position of "Opposite End" and the Icecap 2k in the same group and set to "Back"

Since this is a new tank that is cyclin without fish or corals right now I can't visually tell if this is the setup I want with regard to the groups and position settings. I guess I'm mostly wondering if these pumps should each be in their own group or maybe just the Icecap in it's own group.

Anyone have an opinion for what might work best to provide some varied flow?

Actually you’re perfectly fine the way you have it . Do you have the IceCaps set to “ same end “ ? If you do that will work really well with a back and forth flow. You can always change it and now is a great time to experiment with different flow patterns. Remember if you want , you can always change it. As your aquarium matures you may need to make changes anyway. This is why I suggested to experiment now so in the future you be more experienced with the controller and it’s functions. Happy Reefing! :)

OP
OP
J

Joeg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually you’re perfectly fine the way you have it . Do you have the IceCaps set to “ same end “ ? If you do that will work really well with a back and forth flow. You can always change it and now is a great time to experiment with different flow patterns. Remember if you want , you can always change it. As your aquarium matures you may need to make changes anyway. This is why I suggested to experiment now so in the future you be more experienced with the controller and it’s functions. Happy Reefing! :)

Thanks Micheal. I currently have the F330's both set to "Opposite" and the single Icecap 2k set to "Back". Are you suggesting that they should all three be set to "Same End"?

Michael@CoralVue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Micheal. I currently have the F330's both set to "Opposite" and the single Icecap 2k set to "Back". Are you suggesting that they should all three be set to "Same End"?
No . I would suggest try running 2 of your pumps as “ Opposite” and the other set to “ Same”

or you can mix and match if you want :)

switch it up and see what you think! :)

OP
OP
J

Joeg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No . I would suggest try running 2 of your pumps as “ Opposite” and the other set to “ Same”

or you can mix and match if you want :)

switch it up and see what you think! :)

Thanks, I'll give it a shot. I'm hoping 3 gyres in a 60 cube, while maybe a bit unconventional, will offer a lot of options especially when connected with the Hydros.

I do have to say that so far I'm really happy with the Hydros and the support you guys have offered pre and and post purchase is great. Thank you~!

CoralVue_Marketing

One minute of patience, ten years of peace.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I'll give it a shot. I'm hoping 3 gyres in a 60 cube, while maybe a bit unconventional, will offer a lot of options especially when connected with the Hydros.

I do have to say that so far I'm really happy with the Hydros and the support you guys have offered pre and and post purchase is great. Thank you~!

We've got a many more HYDROS innovations on the way! First up is an app update we think you'll love. It's more icon-based, has more color, and less screens to navigate through. If you've grown accustomed to the way the app looks now, we've kept most of that intact as an option. We look forward to hearing what you think.

Arricefe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry @Joeg I really don't want to hijack your thread but my question is sort in the same subject, Michael@CoralVue, Jeff@CoralVue, I have 2 Tunze 6105 on opposite ends of a 6 foot tank with 2 xf230 on the center back, they seem to be working OK but one of the Tunzes shuts on and off. I'm thinking i don't have the right "power" setting on the pump but it's the same for both and only one shuts off. I know that Tunzes shut completely off at a certain percentage, do you have a recommended setting for them?

Michael@CoralVue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry @Joeg I really don't want to hijack your thread but my question is sort in the same subject, Michael@CoralVue, Jeff@CoralVue, I have 2 Tunze 6105 on opposite ends of a 6 foot tank with 2 xf230 on the center back, they seem to be working OK but one of the Tunzes shuts on and off. I'm thinking i don't have the right "power" setting on the pump but it's the same for both and only one shuts off. I know that Tunzes shut completely off at a certain percentage, do you have a recommended setting for them?

You know what I would do is double check first that both of them are set to the same power level. If they are then this might indicate an issue with that particular pump....maybe not. If you’re sure the pump is ok I would try to bump up the power level on that pump that keeps stopping. Maybe like 10% or so and see if that relieve the issue. The pump could be dirty?? Could be the way the pump was built?
I don’t have the recommended lowest power level setting for those in front of me , but if you would like more specific information on that , just send in a email to [email protected] during normal business hours and you should hear back within 2 hours. Make sure you put Hydros in the title and that will definitely catch their eye lol ;) :) :cool:

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You probably have to raise the minimum power on the Tunze pumps, especially using 0-10v, it may be 12% - 15%? 10% or below and they'll shut off. Just up the minimum until they stay on, it may be different?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 95 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back