Pumping saltwater from basement mixing station to DT.

Adam_M

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Suggestions on a setup for pumping water from my 55gal mixing stations in the basement to my display tank? It's obviously up a floor and approximately 150-175ft in distance.

What kind of pump do I need, and where can I find a hose long enough to get the job done?

Thanks!

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will likely need a high pressure pump like Iwaki or PanWorld. You will need pressure rated pumps. Iwaki 70 or 100 are good choices. Sometimes you can find them used because they make a little bit of noise, but this will not be an issue for you usage.

The horizontal run is not a huge deal (it is not nothing). Look to go through floor HVAC registers if you can. This can help.

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on the Iwaki or blueline.

If this was to act as your return, I'd say spend the extra $$ and go for the Iwaki, but because it is going to be used for utility purposes and not "life support" save some cheddar and go with the blueline/panworld.

Rumour is about 15-20 years ago one of the head engineers at Iwaki left to join Panworld and their pumps are almost identical in design.

BeejReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm no pump expert, but I run a similar setup. 70g mixing bin gets pumped up from the basement to a first floor tank almost directly above it... maybe 14 feet of head. A used Mag 18 has fit the bill for some months now. A few ball valves enable it to be my mixing and lifting pump. A remote outlet (amazon) lets me turn it on and off from upstairs while filling the tank after WC's. Can turn on and off heater as well. The key is not being lazy and switching the valves back afterward. I live in fear of one of the kids pushing the button on the remote and pumping 60g of saltwater onto the floor. 3/4" braided nylon tubing, if memory serves. Hose comes up from basement from a 1" holesaw out of sight behind tank.

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to get overly geeky or obvious here but you should size the pump based upon head pressure and desired flow rate. Head will be driven in part by vertical height and overall length. The closer you are to max head for the pump the shower the flow.

Sorry I can’t remember where but I’ve seen a couple of head calculators online.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 39 19.9%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 145 74.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 4.6%
Back