Pumps pumps pumps???

NeosNano

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in a little dilemma. I have a 75 gallon tank and will be building about a 25 gallon sump to go with it. I am assuming the whole volume of water including live rock and equipment should be about 75 gallons of water give or take a couple gallons. The tanks stand will be 42 inches long and the tank will be 20 more inches to that, totaling a whole 5 ft in height. The return should be plummed with about 6 feet of pvc from the return pump in the sump to the return of the tank (including bends). I want to know what YOU GUYs think the best pump for this situation would be if I were required to turn the water over 7-10 times. Should I turn it over more or less? I will be adding circulating pumps in the tank for flow so thats not an issue.

So far I've looked into:

Mag drive 7-9: Don't really care for them but I will take it into consideration
Eheim 1260-1262: Really reliable and durable
Water Blaster 3000-5000: Lowest Wattage
Sicce pumps: Dont know much about them.

roshi719

Official fish poo remover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think a Quiet one 3000 would be just about right for you

Reefwizard

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buddy of mine has the water blaster pump on his return and raves about it, Says its the quietest pump he has had, as for the Mag, dump it its heat/electric monger, the Eheim is like you said, Sicce is a italian mainstay. I would try the water blaster, its low wattage is to good to pass up.

OP
OP
N

NeosNano

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input fellas...now how many times should I be turning the tank over?

Reefwizard

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use low flow for better contact time in the sump. my pump is quiet one 4000, but with head pressure as it is it rates about 500 gph through the sump which is still kinda high, but it seems to work ok.

A/C or D/C, What’s Your Preference?

• A/C

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • D/C

Votes: 16 66.7%
  • Both

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 4 16.7%
Back