Purchase RODI system or just RODI water?

Clo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I will be setting up a 35gal aquarium in the next few months. I placed the order, and I just need to wait for the tank to deliver.

But, this gives me time to ask you guys your opinion on what I should do regarding water for the aquarium.

I currently live in an older apartment. Will most likely be here for another year to year half. I checked the sink and the BRS faucet diverter valve would not work for me. I was thinking of originally purchasing the 4 Stage Value Plus 75GPD RO/DI System. AFAIK, there's no way for us to turn off the water to hook up the RODI system under the sink, and that's one of my primary concerns at the moment.

My local LFS sells salt water and regular RO water at 1/gal and .5/gal respectively. I was thinking of just buying RODI water and mixing it with salt at home rather than buying their premixed water. I read sometimes LFS will mix to the lowest salinity. I understand I will need to purchase a refractometer, and that's not a problem for me. But I do live on the second story, so carrying up 5 gallons of water multiple trips would be a pain.

So if you were in my situation, would you still attempt to set up a RODI system or just buy from the LFS? I was thinking with rocks + sand, I will only need to purchase 20-25gallons worth of water. And going forward, I would just have an ATO + reservoir. Money wise, shop RO would still be cheaper than going my own RODI system but the biggest hassle would be in the beginning attempt to fill up my tank.

I am hesitant to just use tap water because the apartment is considered to be historical and god knows how old the pipes are. :(

DC Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I definitely would not use tap water if you are planning on any corals or inverts in the tank. If you have access to an outdoor faucet you can hook up to that to make RODI water. I agree on the buckets, I hate carrying them, especially up stairs...

Fishnut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any chance you have a laundry hook up in there? If so connect to the cold water line. If not I would start buying gallon containers of distilled water from the super market if the five gallon from the LFS are too heavy.

Alexreefer

Coral, Coral, Coral!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I will be setting up a 35gal aquarium in the next few months. I placed the order, and I just need to wait for the tank to deliver.

But, this gives me time to ask you guys your opinion on what I should do regarding water for the aquarium.

I currently live in an older apartment. Will most likely be here for another year to year half. I checked the sink and the BRS faucet diverter valve would not work for me. I was thinking of originally purchasing the 4 Stage Value Plus 75GPD RO/DI System. AFAIK, there's no way for us to turn off the water to hook up the RODI system under the sink, and that's one of my primary concerns at the moment.

My local LFS sells salt water and regular RO water at 1/gal and .5/gal respectively. I was thinking of just buying RODI water and mixing it with salt at home rather than buying their premixed water. I read sometimes LFS will mix to the lowest salinity. I understand I will need to purchase a refractometer, and that's not a problem for me. But I do live on the second story, so carrying up 5 gallons of water multiple trips would be a pain.

So if you were in my situation, would you still attempt to set up a RODI system or just buy from the LFS? I was thinking with rocks + sand, I will only need to purchase 20-25gallons worth of water. And going forward, I would just have an ATO + reservoir. Money wise, shop RO would still be cheaper than going my own RODI system but the biggest hassle would be in the beginning attempt to fill up my tank.

I am hesitant to just use tap water because the apartment is considered to be historical and god knows how old the pipes are. :(
Usually there is a valve that supplies water to your entire apartment, Mine used to be behind the boiler and washer if you have those in your apt. Also It is much cheaper to make your own water in the long run. If we could get some pics under the sink where eu plan on attaching the ro/di would help us get a better understanding with what we are working with

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Test the TDS of your tap water. Get a water report from you city as well and see what's in the water. If the TDS is really high, over 400, and/or the water report says there are lots of heavy metals, I'd personally look into purchasing the water. If the tap water is not bad, and not hard, I'd purchase the RODI unit and make my own drinking water. That will save you lots of money and pay for itself.

jradishness

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with the rest, get an RODI system. Make it work. I don’t understand how anybody can be willing to spend so much money on livestock and throw it into garbage water when a couple hundred bucks can have you making your own perfect water. With the recent storms in Texas, we’ve been under boil notices, but I don’t even fret. I just drank RO water this week.

As everyone has mentioned, look for spigots that you can add a tee to anywhere in utility spaces. I built a custom pvc manifold that I plugged into the spigot behind the washer. From that manifold, I run to the washer, the dryer (steam), and the RODI unit. I don’t even lose pressure to the rodi unit when I am running laundry this way. I think there are also adaptors that can go between your sink and the cold water supply (after the valve there that you CAN close).

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is almost certainly a shutoff for your apartment(would be code in many places but maybe not all). I also think whether it is cheaper depends on the rodi unit you are talking about. The $70 ones on amazon should work just fine(but a bit slow). Over a year and a half of just top offs that will pay for itself not even including water changes.

Unless you use a lid on the tank you are probably looking at a few gallons a week of evap.

Courtney Aldrich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would find a way to connect the RO/DI system. You are more likely to do regular water changes if you have ready access to pure water. I would go to a local plumbing store and see if they can find a solution for you.

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get your own unit. It will pay for itself vs buying water.
You can pick up a faucet adapter and make it in your kitchen, then put it away when done.
Keep the canisters full when stored to minimize air which in turn can lead to bacteria.

OP
OP
Clo

Clo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I definitely would not use tap water if you are planning on any corals or inverts in the tank. If you have access to an outdoor faucet you can hook up to that to make RODI water. I agree on the buckets, I hate carrying them, especially up stairs...
I only mention tap because one of my other friends who has been in the hobby for a while has been using tap. And his tank has been fine with inverts and corals, but he's definitely more experienced.

I have not been able to find the outdoor water hookup which is what contributes to my dilemma.
Any chance you have a laundry hook up in there? If so connect to the cold water line. If not I would start buying gallon containers of distilled water from the super market if the five gallon from the LFS are too heavy.
The laundry hookup is behind a stacked washer/dryer with 1 inch spacing on both sides. I don't think I have enough space to even pull the washer/dryer combo out to hook up a RODI unit with enough tubing.
Usually there is a valve that supplies water to your entire apartment, Mine used to be behind the boiler and washer if you have those in your apt. Also It is much cheaper to make your own water in the long run. If we could get some pics under the sink where eu plan on attaching the ro/di would help us get a better understanding with what we are working with
IMG_0114.jpg

(kitchen sink faucet)
IMG_0115.jpg

(bathroom sink faucet)
IMG_0116.jpg

(bathroom sink pipes)
IMG_0113.jpg

(kitchen sink pipes)

I'm sorry about the horrible photos, there wasn't much space :(
Test the TDS of your tap water. Get a water report from you city as well and see what's in the water. If the TDS is really high, over 400, and/or the water report says there are lots of heavy metals, I'd personally look into purchasing the water. If the tap water is not bad, and not hard, I'd purchase the RODI unit and make my own drinking water. That will save you lots of money and pay for itself.
This is the water report from 2018, I'll be reaching out to them for one from this year or last year. WaterCCRTable2018.pdf (azureedge.net)
Agree with the rest, get an RODI system. Make it work. I don’t understand how anybody can be willing to spend so much money on livestock and throw it into garbage water when a couple hundred bucks can have you making your own perfect water. With the recent storms in Texas, we’ve been under boil notices, but I don’t even fret. I just drank RO water this week.

As everyone has mentioned, look for spigots that you can add a tee to anywhere in utility spaces. I built a custom pvc manifold that I plugged into the spigot behind the washer. From that manifold, I run to the washer, the dryer (steam), and the RODI unit. I don’t even lose pressure to the rodi unit when I am running laundry this way. I think there are also adaptors that can go between your sink and the cold water supply (after the valve there that you CAN close).
I've attached a photo of my sink, and I believe it won't be compatible with most sink adapters because mine doesn't have threading to connect an adapter to :(
I would find a way to connect the RO/DI system. You are more likely to do regular water changes if you have ready access to pure water. I would go to a local plumbing store and see if they can find a solution for you.
I may have to look into this option then.
Get your own unit. It will pay for itself vs buying water.
You can pick up a faucet adapter and make it in your kitchen, then put it away when done.
Keep the canisters full when stored to minimize air which in turn can lead to bacteria.
The plan was to get my own RODI unit but I'm not familiar enough with them to know whether they're compatible with my sinks. ; - ;

Alexreefer

Coral, Coral, Coral!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I think you can do is remove the aerator on the faucet. Just by unscrewing it you would be able to put on the adapter otherwise you could get an adapter to attach the tubing which I believe feed your dishwasher. And to turn the water off all you would need to do is turn the triangle-looking part of the valve to turn off the water.

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To install under your bathroom sink, John Guest makes an angle stop valve that would fit your current plumbing. It installs above the cold water shutoff and the white pex tubing attaches to the top of it. A 1/4" quick connect on it supplies your unit.

Then without cutting into the existing plumbing, route the waste water tubing up into the sink when running - put a heavy book or something on it to keep it in place !!

Fezbearer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only mention tap because one of my other friends who has been in the hobby for a while has been using tap. And his tank has been fine with inverts and corals, but he's definitely more experienced.

I have not been able to find the outdoor water hookup which is what contributes to my dilemma.

The laundry hookup is behind a stacked washer/dryer with 1 inch spacing on both sides. I don't think I have enough space to even pull the washer/dryer combo out to hook up a RODI unit with enough tubing.

IMG_0114.jpg

(kitchen sink faucet)

I may have to look into this option then.

The plan was to get my own RODI unit but I'm not familiar enough with them to know whether they're compatible with my sinks. ; - ;
At the tip of your faucet is an aerator, if you unscrew that you can fit an adaptor on it. I have one on my kitchen sink.

Last edited:

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd get an RODI unit. Your water isn't that bad so you shouldn't burn through the DI resin. Get a Tee fitting with a valve and put it after the membrane and before the DI resin. The water before the resin is perfectly drinkable. This alone will pay for the system.

Chrysemys

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like I will have the unpopular opinion. For a tank that small, buy the rodi water.
The last thing you need is breaking a pipe or forgetting to turn off you RODI and having a leak in an apartment. There goes any security deposit. It is not hard to hook up a system, but from the posts it comes across that you’re not that comfortable with plumbing.
If you have a source you trust.... let someone else deal with the headaches of operating the RO/DI and buy the 6 gallon or so a week that you’d need.

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@littleclown so much great advice for you. Not to pile on but making your own RODI gives you control over the quality of your water and saltwater. There are stories of people buying water at their local fish stores and having real issues. So why risk it.

It also looks like your kitchen sink has an aerator you can remove and hook up your RODI to it.

Good luck!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
An RODI system will pay for itself in a few short months versus purchasing/gas/mileage and unsurity of TDS and any minerals.

FindingPonyo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

i personally only have a 14 gallon so it’s not too annoying to just go to my LFS that’s only. 25 min away to pick up 3, 5 gallon jugs for $1/gallon so i usually spend $15 every 2 months. When I started my tank I looked into getting a system, but you need to have proper plumbing and you have to take a measurements on your Fossett and it takes hours for it to give you several gallons of water and it’s a real pain

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 107 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.6%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

• I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back