Purchasing an RO unit.

Discussion in 'Middle Tennessee Reef Club' started by SRT80, Aug 21, 2018.

1. SRT80

SRT80 Active Member

I think the time has come to get an RO unit. Over the last 14 years, I have been buying water. Started out getting from AC and the last 10 or 12 years I've been using the water from the Publix glacier machines. I'm just getting older and have had some back issues recently so carrying 5 gallon jugs up stairs is getting old.

I want something simple. I don't want anything that's permanently hooked up. I want a system I can hook straight to my faucet and put away when not in use. I only use 10 to 15 gallons a week.

I've been looking at the Aquatic Life RO buddie. I can get the 3 stage 50 gpd for $60 or 100 gpd for like $63.

I don't think the Glacier machine is DI. should I spend the extra and get the 4 stage?

Or any other systems that can hook directly to a faucet?

Thanks for any info.

JoshH and Flippers4pups like this.
    Tags:

2. Flippers4pups

Flippers4pups Fins up since 1993 R2R Supporter Reef Squad Leader R2R Excellence Award Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor

You could use any 4 stage RO/DI unit on a faucet with a quick disconnect.

SRT80, ndrwater, JoshH and 1 other person like this.
  3. chipmunkofdoom2

chipmunkofdoom2 Always Making Something R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award Article Contributor

I agree with @Flippers4pups. Any 4 stage unit will do what you want. The RO Buddie would certainly work, but aside from the membrane, it uses non-standard filter sizes, which limits your replacement options and locks you into using only the RO Buddie filters.

A 4-stage RO/DI will be fairly compact and will allow you to use any standard filter size available.

SRT80, ndrwater, JoshH and 1 other person like this.
  4. Scott Ulrich

Scott Ulrich Member

SRT80 likes this.
  5. ndrwater

ndrwater Valuable Member R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2018 Build Thread Contributor

I personally use a RO/DI unit from BRS. Great price point, membranes and carbon blocks readily available for whatever your municipal water supply would require. Plus, the added benifit from BRS is that all systems come with a variety to connection options from a simple adaptor to hook up to a faucet, to full on permanent installation.

SRT80, JoshH and Flippers4pups like this.
  6. JoshH

JoshH Not happy with things here taking a break from R2R R2R Supporter Partner Member 2018 Build Thread Contributor

Deleted

20180821_124722.jpg

Last edited: Sep 6, 2018
  7. SRT80

SRT80 Active Member

Thanks for all the replies. I see some come with a pressure gauge? Is that needed? Also, once hooked up do you just turn the faucet on full blast and let it go?

I guess when I get off work I'll do some more research.

Thanks.

JoshH likes this.
  8. WVNed

WVNed Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

I have a BRS 4 stage I use in the kitchen once a week. I just unthread the faucet aerator and put on the adapter and then change it back when I am done. How much you open the tap will depend on your water pressure. Mine goes over 100 so I have to close it a bit. I adjust it to 80 on the gauge.

JoshH likes this.
  9. JoshH

JoshH Not happy with things here taking a break from R2R R2R Supporter Partner Member 2018 Build Thread Contributor

Deleted.

10. SRT80

SRT80 Active Member

Sorry for all the questions. I've been reading about temperature when making water.

Do I just put a thermometer in my water bucket and adjust the faucets as needed? Or do you just use the cold water faucet and it's fine?

Thanks.

11. JoshH

Deleted

SRT80 likes this.
  12. Scott Ulrich

Scott Ulrich Member

The directions for the ro buddi
    The ro buddie directions say to use 75 degree water, but it also says not to use hot water as hot water heaters deliver more metals. So I just use the cold water...

SRT80 likes this.
  13. Scott Ulrich

Scott Ulrich Member

The directions for the ro buddi
    The ro buddie directions say to use 75 degree water, but it also says not to use hot water as hot water heaters deliver more metals. So I just use the cold water...

SRT80 likes this.
  14. JoshH

Deleted

SRT80 likes this.
  15. Redleg

Redleg Active Member

The RO membrane is most efficient at 77 degrees, but if you look up the specs on them temps above 110 degrees can damage the membrane. That is the biggest reason to run cold water only. I'm running a 5 stage BRS unit with the garden hose adapter installed. I've got it setup with a quick connect garden hose fitting and swap it out with the cold water line on my clothes washer. My set up isn't for everyone as there is a chance of putting water on the floor if the quick connect doesn't lock in place. Mine is in an unfinished basement where a little water won't hurt anything.

SRT80 likes this.
  16. Tennsquire

Tennsquire Active Member MTRCMember

An RODI unit is a great investment in your tank and beats buying water from the LFS or the grocery store. I've run a Spectrapure 4-stage 90 gallon per day unit for years and their parts are interchangeable with others when it's time to change the filters. I hook it up to the outside faucet on the back patio of our walkout basement and it does its thing. If it's super cold in the winter and I need water (and have exhausted my water in storage), I hook it up to either the sink (which the lady of the house doesn't really like) or the washing machine cold water supply. Look around on the for sale page here; there are deals to be had. Here's a recent one: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/75-gpd-rodi.440621/

17. SRT80

SRT80 Active Member

I decided to go with the RO buddie 4 stage unit. Mainly cause of the price and to just test it out.

It set up easy on the cabinet door of bathroom sink. I also bought a tds-3 meter.

Test my tap water the other day and can't remember exact number but it was well over 100ppm. I tested the Publix glacier water I've been using forver and it was 37ppm. Just test the water I'm making with the RO buddie and it's 0ppm.

At the end, I'm not worried about the $60 I spent on this unit. The replacement cartridges aren't that high. But if I feel I need to buy a better unit, I definitely will.

Thanks again for all the help.

Draft saved Draft deleted