Purchasing fish from live Aquaria

JayL

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've made two separate purchases from live aquaria. I've lost every fish. I placed them in QT. Within the 14 day guarantee I've lost all of them. I don't medicate the QT. I'm wondering if I should? Anyone have any input?

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've only lost 1 from LA - a Harlequin Tusk and they gave a refund. The others 4 ORA filefish and a pair of Golden Nugget Clowns are all doing well.

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've made two separate purchases from live aquaria. I've lost every fish. I placed them in QT. Within the 14 day guarantee I've lost all of them. I don't medicate the QT. I'm wondering if I should? Anyone have any input?
Anything bought from LA should go into a medicated tank ASAP. The commercial fish distribution system is so rife with parasites and illness I’m not sure you can get a completely healthy fish anymore.

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a shipment of 6 chromes, flasher wrasse, 2 anthias and a Potter angel. Everything was fine but the angel who died. They refunded the fish.

I agree it is hit or miss and definitely qt.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still use LA. I’ve had 3 orders in the past 6 months, mostly wrasses, all successful. I use the procedure below. I think my failures in the past were somewhat due to the huge salinity difference between my tank (35 ppt) and incoming fish (usually about 23 ppt).

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/my-current-qt-process.483371/

H3rm1tCr@b

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have also been thinking about buying from them! I really like the stuff they get through the Diver's Den! Looks fantastic AND they have some things that wouldn't normally pop up on their main pages.

Nathan Milender

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have gotten 3 orders from them and only lost one feather duster aside from an entire order loss which had nothing to do with LA (UPS delayed the shipment somewhere and let it freeze, refund granted). I do quarantine, although not as sophisticated as the link mentioned earlier. I generally do about 30 days and only treat with prazi unless I see something. I never know what the incoming gravity will be so I keep my QT same as my DT and do a long drip acclimation. Biggest problem I have seen is that when doing a long drip it is hard to mainain temp so now I heat a 5 gallon bucket of tap water and float the bag in that. For inverts you can use your sump and it is a bit easier as I generally put them right into the DT. Most are reluctant to eat the first few days so I generally have brine hatching. Once they start eating everything I throw in I will also use some metro infused flakes I got from brine shrimp direct.

eraser2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I normally use LA, but I had bad luck with 5 shipment from them (all wrasses). they sent to me an e-mail asking me for my parameters, but I forgot to sent to them. One month ago I ordered and Achilles tang and LA did not ship, so I called and they told me that they need my parameters before ship the fish. I sent them and 4 hour later one person call me and told me that they are not going to send me more wrasse(4) because I have a lot in my 225 gallons and the Achilles tang will ship. I told to them that some fishes that they sent to me , arrived dead or did not survive 1 day.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Dragon52

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a few fish fro LA/DD die but the vast majority have no issues. Sorry about your lose. The main reason I buy from them is their warranty, no jumping thru hoops to get a refund but they also have a good collection of choices

adam finley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve only had positive experiences with them for the most part even after Petco took over. I did lose 1 wrasse but they refunded me minus shipping. I asked for a replacement instead but they wouldn’t and said I had to just reorder another which was a little annoying. It’s hard to beat there guarantee policy so I would still definitely buy from them in the future. FYI “almost” every vendor gets their fish from the same place so why not go with the company that offers the better guarantee imo.

OP
OP
JayL

JayL

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered a male anthias three female anthias and three fire fish. The name anthias died and one female anthias died. Along with one fire fish. Everyone else seems to be eating and doing well.

Millimylilly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually have pretty good experiences with DD. They quarantine for many weeks before they go on the site

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 43 17.7%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 162 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back