Purchasing fish from live Aquaria

TNreeferBX

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i ordered 3 crabs, 2 coral banded shrimp, 17 hermits, an urchin, some snails, and a chalk bass trio. the first box didn't come until 7 but that was the fault of the good old local bronx ups, and overall the basslets were fine. then the inverts missed the flight, got delayed a day and showed up half dead. first and last order.

SeaJay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ordered a magnificent foxface and it came in fine. 3rd order from them with no issues or losses. I’m getting better fish than I can get locally, so I guess I’ll keep ordering from them until I have a good reason not to.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think Quality Marine (I think this is where Live Aquaria is shipping fish from) feed fish on hold there, or feed them enough. I often sign up for email notification of rarer fish, and order as soon as I get the email, these fish arrive in great condition. Other time, especially when I buy fish on sale, and I often think, and rethink about whether or not I should order these fish, they arrived emaciated without fail.

I ordered two Hooded Fairy wrasse while they were in sale after about agonized over them for 1 week, they arrived emaciated and died. I delay order a grope of Flame angels and all arrived emaciated, three of the four died. I just ordered two Flame wrasse last week after the last Flame Fairy wrasse sale, and I got two emaciated fish. One died so far and I cannot get the second one to eat. I am sure he will die soon.

IME/IMO, If you are ordering fish from Live Aquaria, order them as soon as they are available, or else not at all. These on sale fish that stay on sale is not worth the trouble after about 5 days or so.

U

User1

View Badges
Update also from me. I placed an order from LA on the 1sf of May for a Scopus and Lavender tang. It arrived on the 3rd by 10:00 AM PST which was nice. What was different this time from the prevous post of mine on this thread with regards to the Purple Tang is how they are packaged. Like with the Lt. Tang the Scopus and Lavender had the lower part of the bag blacked out. No water leaks, full of air, package was sound.

Quick inspection and both are healthy as I acclimated them to my tanks salinety and pH. After what seemed like a couple hours it was time for their 15 minute or so fresh water bath in Methylene Blue. Then a quick rinse and into the tank. I was hesitent to order from them again but glad I did. These fish had no signs of damange with normal things we can visibly see. Nothing was in the freshwater dip either so no signs of flukes.

Not sure what happened back when I ordered that purple tang but this shipment was 100 times better and everything is healthy, eating, and gaining weight.

CODE3EMT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've given up on LiveAquaria, specifically Divers Den. The prices are just absurd and ridiculous. Starcki Damsels for $89.99. They also had the gall to try to pawn a BiColor Angel off on Reefers for $1299.99, they call it "Ultra BiColor" LOL thats cute............ I call it bull crap............ nothing ultra about that BiColor.....it is a genetic flaw which gives it that strange almost defective or blemished look with patches of faded yellow on its body, even the navy blue color is faded. All the prices on their fish have been marked up 10x to the point where most reefers will start or should start to shop elsewhere or their local fish shops. I'm educated enough to know when I'm being scammed. I have purchased many fish from Divers Den in years past and their prices were never this ridiculous. Blue Dot Jawfish used to be $119.99 they are now $249.99. Red Sea Purple Tangs used to be $199.99 now they are $249.99. I paid $299.99 for my 3" Blotched Anthias now they are selling for $400.00 I see every single fish on their website for a fraction of the cost locally. Not to mention the shipping cost as well. The trick to buying locally is careful selection and quarantine. I always ask to see the fish eat before I buy........if they don't feed......I pass, that simple. I look for fish that are active, not skinny, and feeding. The only thing I have never seen locally is their $11,000.00 Tiger Angelfish and their $4,600.00 Clarion Angel. Both of which will either eventually die in LiveAquaria's custody or be sold to a public aquarium, Oprah Winfrey, or Elon Musk. No average Reefer would pay that kind of money for a fish.

Get Real LiveAquaria or you'll wind up like Orchard Supply and have to close shop cause your way over priced. Home Depot and Lowes sells for cheaper and Orchard Supply couldn't keep up.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a P. carpenteri and C. roseafascia a little over a week ago from DD and they were packed very well. They were healthy appearing and ate within an hour of being acclimated. S.G of the shipping water wa 1.026.

Always set your QT salinity the same as the shipping water and avoid drip acclimation if at all possible. They will let you know what they are shipping at.....at least all the places I've used will ( NY Aquatic, Blue Zoo, Fishy Business)

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I disagree with @CODE3EMT. Obviously they are selling the fishes. On DD, often certain fish would be gone within a few minutes of posting. Every day, hundreds of new animals available for sale. If a reefer want cheaper fish, order from Live Aquaria. 2 weeks guarantee is very good to have. Often, when I order, shipping would be free.
Certain market here in the US, there are LFS that can rival selections of LA, most of the other places salt water fish and corals choice is minimal to non existence.

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got an incredible super male Lineatus Fairy Wrasse from DD a couple weeks ago.
Doing extremely well in QT including copper and GC.
Eats everything, very curious, already gets excited and watches me at meal time.
No signs of disease whatsoever. Perfect fish.
Barring new developments, I'm pretty happy with this purchase so far.

SeaJay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've given up on LiveAquaria, specifically Divers Den. The prices are just absurd and ridiculous. Starcki Damsels for $89.99. They also had the gall to try to pawn a BiColor Angel off on Reefers for $1299.99, they call it "Ultra BiColor" LOL thats cute............ I call it bull crap............ nothing ultra about that BiColor.....it is a genetic flaw which gives it that strange almost defective or blemished look with patches of faded yellow on its body, even the navy blue color is faded. All the prices on their fish have been marked up 10x to the point where most reefers will start or should start to shop elsewhere or their local fish shops. I'm educated enough to know when I'm being scammed. I have purchased many fish from Divers Den in years past and their prices were never this ridiculous. Blue Dot Jawfish used to be $119.99 they are now $249.99. Red Sea Purple Tangs used to be $199.99 now they are $249.99. I paid $299.99 for my 3" Blotched Anthias now they are selling for $400.00 I see every single fish on their website for a fraction of the cost locally. Not to mention the shipping cost as well. The trick to buying locally is careful selection and quarantine. I always ask to see the fish eat before I buy........if they don't feed......I pass, that simple. I look for fish that are active, not skinny, and feeding. The only thing I have never seen locally is their $11,000.00 Tiger Angelfish and their $4,600.00 Clarion Angel. Both of which will either eventually die in LiveAquaria's custody or be sold to a public aquarium, Oprah Winfrey, or Elon Musk. No average Reefer would pay that kind of money for a fish.

Get Real LiveAquaria or you'll wind up like Orchard Supply and have to close shop cause your way over priced. Home Depot and Lowes sells for cheaper and Orchard Supply couldn't keep up.
If an item is posted with a price you can choose to pay or not pay that price. That is not a “scam”, that’s capitalism. You assuming that other people aren’t smart enough to shop around before they pay LA prices is somewhat insulting and probably narcissistic of you.

CODE3EMT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, lots of keyboard warriors firing off nonsense here. So let me go back....again..... educate those who didn’t understand my post.

As I said in my post..... I.... meaning me, have purchased many, many, many, many, fish from Divers Den. Many, meaning plentiful or large quantities, lots.

I, again meaning me, knows when I feel like I’m being scammed. If you want to pay $1299.99 for a Bi-Color Angel then by all means go right on ahead. I’ll pass as I know where I can find the exact same fish for $24.99

As a consumer our dollars speaks very loudly, this is not a cheap hobby by any means, but selling merchandise with a 300% or more mark up is not capitalism, it’s called ripping the buyer off in an attempt to see if they will take the bait. Would you buy a Toyota Camry for the same cost as a Lamborghini, and pay $375,000.00 to $400,000.00 or would you go down the street where you can find the same car, same color, with all the same options including leather seats and Navigation system for $40,000.00

Divers Den’s fish have always...... and I say again always..... meaning every time or all the time arrived healthy and eating and I....... have always, there’s that word again.....always had good luck and was very happy with my purchase.

Their customer service and 14 day guarantee as always been a plus when buying my fish from them. Their livestock has always been packed and shipped with the utmost care.

My post was merely stating fact, not opinion......that their prices have increased big time, not a little to cover the cost of supplies or labor cost but increased to the point of as I described “ridiculous” So as you so eloquently stated, I choose to shop elsewhere where I can find the same quality for a more affordable price, which not a soul on this forum could disagree with...... finding quality goods at a fair price.

At no point did I EVER accuse anyone as not being smart, nor did I ever state their live stock is unhealthy, nor did I ever state the quality of their fish is poor, nor did I ever state that people are not buying fish from them anymore, I get all the Divers Den Alert emails from them just as you all do, and I clearly see that many people buy fish from them, because I use to be one of them.

My analogy about Orchard Supply was simply stating that BIG BOX stores like Home Depot or Lowe’s can sell goods for less. Buyers see this and flock to those stores because they know they can find home improvement goods for a better price........as a result the store that was marking up their price for better profit margins has now ceased to exist, because sales have dropped and consumers have gone elsewhere. No company will ever admit that of course.

Capitalism has its place in society, and there are those who will debate its pluses and minuses. But for me and a saltwater fish tank....... LOL, I’ll support my LFS, because I see that as Patriotism. Thank You.

Last edited:

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
<also hugs CODE3EMT>

LOL.

Uh, the last I looked that horrible looking bicolor angel is still for sale. Maybe they will learn that just because something is unusual doesn't make it valuable to most. That's still not a scam IMO. Just trying to get the best price they can. If they paid more for that particular specimen, I bet they lose money on it.

I'm sure not going to quit using them because of one fish. When I add in the zero I pay in shipping (for exquisitely well packed fish) the cost really isn't much different than the other vendors I use. I've been on them lately about a few things but their prices don't seem to have changed much to me.

Last edited:

Oldreefer44

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems to be more and more difficult to get quality fish from on line vendors. LA used to be my go to but had 2 bad experiences in a row where 2 were DOA and eventually lost most of the rest. Tried Fishy Business but they were even worse. They push that they have lower prices but then you have to purchase all kinds of extras as insurance. 2 similarly bad experiences with them so now looking for a new source.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, lots of keyboard warriors firing off nonsense here. So let me go back....again..... educate those who didn’t understand my post.

As I said in my post..... I.... meaning me, have purchased many, many, many, many, fish from Divers Den. Many, meaning plentiful or large quantities, lots.

I, again meaning me, knows when I feel like I’m being scammed. If you want to pay $1299.99 for a Bi-Color Angel then by all means go right on ahead. I’ll pass as I know where I can find the exact same fish for $24.99

I post as if your post mean to me.
Just because I disagree with you, does not mean what I wrote is nonsense. I don’t need to be educated to understand your post. I understand it perfectly fine.
Don’t you think you are a little condescending in what you wrote?
If you want rare things, and other people want the same thing you just got to pay more for it. I don’t want it so I did not pay for that fish. Apparently you feel the same but other people may not.
It is a free world. They are not scammed when they want to pay for a rare, and ugly fish.
About LA, it is great that you have a choice between LA or LFS. Just count your blessing. A great number of us do not and have to rely on MO. 14 days warranted is what keep LA head and shoulder above fish I order through the LFS and other MO businesses.
I don’t buy from DD too much but I had and happy to do it.

Last edited:

SeaJay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess we have different definitions of what a “scam” is. Scam is synonymous with dishonesty. To accuse someone of being dishonest just because you don’t like their prices is a pretty low thing to do in my personal opinion.

Elgringodiablo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only thing I have never seen locally is their $11,000.00 Tiger Angelfish and their $4,600.00 Clarion Angel. Both of which will either eventually die in LiveAquaria's custody or be sold to a public aquarium, Oprah Winfrey, or Elon Musk. No average Reefer would pay that kind of money for a fish.

$11k for a Kingi is ridiculous. A few years ago when no one could get them, it would have been borderline understandable, but nowadays they are getting pretty easy to obtain (more collection from Madagascar) and can be purchased for less than half that price, likely via the same exact supplier. With the Clarions, they might have the market cornered, regardless, I don't see that one moving at $4500.

Subnautica

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for digging an old grave but I've ordered 5 fish, 3 inverts from LA and they all suvived. All the fish ate right out of the bag. Amazing!

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 43 17.7%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 162 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back