Purigen in Media Reactor?

Aspect

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hello, I recently switched to purigen from carbon in my media reactor. I am not sure it is worth it, I need to have very very slow flow going through the reactor in order to not shoot the purigen directly into my tank. Maybe 100gph flow and my system is ~450 gallons. Is it worth it to keep the purigen in the reactor or should I switch to another media? If I should switch media what is a good media recommendation?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not do it unless its in a bag. May I ask why you switched away from carbon?

CamoFan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run both purigen and activated carbon in my Fluval 407 for a 40GAL tank. Haven’t had any issues with it. You should be able to run both. I like purigen because it picks up a lot more from the water but carbon is just good to have in there as well IMO.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Worth doing…you can mix it with carbon, tho purigen is meant to last longer than carbon.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aquamaxx XL dual reactor with rox0.8

Maybe try something like seachem matrix carbon next time. It clogs less due to the shape. That packed tightly should work. I am not sure if you can use a sponge or something to anchor the carbon down but that could work.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run both purigen and activated carbon in my Fluval 407 for a 40GAL tank. Haven’t had any issues with it. You should be able to run both. I like purigen because it picks up a lot more from the water but carbon is just good to have in there as well IMO.

Technically purigen picks up a lot less from the water (by definition from seachem as its much much more selective)

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 28 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back