Purple bonsai

honkit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a maricultured piece about a month ago and it came with a nice purple colouration. However, as of now, the body and base has turned brownish purple and only the tips retain its bright purple colour. Its yellow polyps are still out and the coral is healthy with good encrustation and some slow growth (mostly it's growth on the tips).

I had it about midway up my tank's rockwork which is around 15 inches from the water surface (my tank is 24 inches tall with 8 T5 bulbs suspended about 4 inches from the water). I have recently relocated it close to the bottom of the tank on the premise that it might prefer less intense lighting.

Is it true that purple bonsais are less light-loving?

dsmhero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting...mine lost it's dark purple color as well. Maybe I will move it to lower, it is under 70% power on my AI Sol

turbo21

Fenchies and Fish Oh My
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+2 for the lower light. I had mine about halfway down in my 220 lit with bridgelux leds, and the purple got real light. moved it to the bottom third and the deep purple came back

bob

ingtar_shinowa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two frags at mid level with a nice purple and on at the bottom that is almost black is so deep.

OP
OP
H

honkit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the sharing :)

I am more convinced now that my moving the bonsai piece to the bottom is the right move. Will update in a few weeks' time.

Traymitch1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
every tank is different. My bonsai is at the top and is purple as can be. Im running 2x250's and 48x3w cree leds.

Reefltx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine loves high light, I run t5. It will be the first to brown out though if I let the nutrients get to high.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.1%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.9%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 164 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back