Purple firefish passed away in quarantine - pic inside

AngryMike2016

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi folks,

I began quarantine of a royal gramma and a purple firefish on 2/27. They have both been eating well and swimming without issue since QT began. Came home from work today to unfortunately find the purple firefish dead. The royal gramma is still trucking along, seemingly fine and ate well today.

I couldn't tell anything from looking at the firefish, so I thought that I would post a picture here, in case someone more experienced than I does see something.

Thanks in advance.

SDC11248.JPG

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any aggression between the two?

OP
OP
AngryMike2016

AngryMike2016

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing that I had observed, but I suppose it could have happened.

OP
OP
AngryMike2016

AngryMike2016

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thought I'd give this a bump just in case there are more ideas on what may have happened.

CWR24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well......he's dead alright.

On a side note I'm in the process of setting up a bigger aquarium. I have a Royal Gramma in my other smaller tank at the moment. When I'm fully ready to make the switch over he won't be making the trip with the rest of the critters into their new home.

I should have named him Pia.....short for Pain In ***

Was probably bothering the death out of him both literally and figuratively.

CWR24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well......he's dead alright.

On a side note I'm in the process of setting up a bigger aquarium. I have a Royal Gramma in my other smaller tank at the moment. When I'm fully ready to make the switch over he won't be making the trip with the rest of the critters into their new home.

I should have named him Pia.....short for Pain In ***

Was probably bothering the death out of him both literally and figuratively.

OP
OP
AngryMike2016

AngryMike2016

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Huh, I'd heard and read that Grammas were relatively peaceful, but with zero signs of disease that I could see that must have been it. I work from home and my tanks are in my office, so I look at them a lot. Never saw the two fish 'getting into it', but who knows what was happening at night or when I was away.

ludnix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Huh, I'd heard and read that Grammas were relatively peaceful, but with zero signs of disease that I could see that must have been it. I work from home and my tanks are in my office, so I look at them a lot. Never saw the two fish 'getting into it', but who knows what was happening at night or when I was away.
It varies a bit from gramma to gramma but they can definitely be on the aggressive side with other small fish. Not saying that's the cause of the death but just my experience with them. Firefish on the other hand seem like they can be startled to death if you fart too loud so I generally would not co-habitat them in a QT.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like it was thin, which to me means internal parasites possibly and also of course if it isn't eating well it won't live long.

Firefish can be finicky, sorry for the loss.

OP
OP
AngryMike2016

AngryMike2016

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fish seemed to have been eating fine, but yeah, if it had internal parasites eating well doesn't necessarily mean getting nutrition from the food.

OP
OP
AngryMike2016

AngryMike2016

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input everybody. I'm thinking that in the future I will QT just one fish at a time. It'll take longer, but that's fine.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 23.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back