Purple pulsing xenia

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never seen pulsing xenia with the purple color. Is this for real under any colored light or from the light it was under when the pic was taken or maybe enhanced? It was for sale on a very reputable online vendor site and I have a little xenia and I was wondering if anyone has this variation in there tank. Was gonna buy it since I've never seen it before although it wasnt cheap considering it's just a frag of xenia but if its purple like the pic in any spectrum of light then I can justify the price, but then thought is it for real. I cropped the photo so the vendor isn't disclosed since it's a sponsor. If it's for real let me know cuz I wanna buy a frag.

20190312_133642.jpg

OP
OP
HB AL

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spreads like a weed, and little ones pop up all over the place in different spots.
I love it though and keep it trimmed up.
When yours gets bigger, the pulsing is VERY nice to watch !
I've had it for years, just keep a couple little spots of it just because I like it, and if I let it go a little I take the stuff I removed and trade it to my lfs for a few packs of frozen food.

OP
OP
HB AL

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never seen one that's purple under daylight. I'd assume its under heavy blues or modified.
Thats exactly why I asked the question, in the pic its clearly purple and was wondering if it looked like that under white lighting to cuz I've never seen purple colored pulsing xenia either. Sounds like it's just the light and camera that made it look purple. I'm definently gonna pass kinda sad it doesn't exist and bummed such a reputable vendor would post regular pulsing xenia for sale with that color unless it really is purple under all lights.

Paleozoic_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the pulsating is dependent on factors like flow, WQ, and nutrients in the water column. My variety looked like the typical feathery variety when I got it but when I place it in a high flow area it changed its appearance. Here's a video of it pulsating with and with flow...

2DE36FCA-0BC9-45AF-95CE-58A117B7F8D6.jpeg

Justfebreezeit

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pulsing is a thing has always been a mystery but regardless only certain species of xenia do it.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20190312_133642-jpg.1006478

See the purple coloration on the disc? That is suppose to be white and green. Subtracted that out and you have your normal everyday Xenia.

Here is a more accurate coloration of this coral. Took me 5 seconds.
20190312_133642.jpg

AdamB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Xenia’s are same purple color as well.
They grow like weeds though and that’s what all my visitors like best believe it or not !
I’ve learned to put them on there separate island to keep them contained Somewhat !

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back