Purple tang aggression

DTz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys I’ve got 2 small yellow tangs that was living peacefully. 2 days ago I saw a similar size purple and decided to add 1 to my tank. After 2 days the purple tang go all crazy and started attacking the 2 yellow tangs . Both yt has got bitten badly on the fins. Caught both of the yellows out ( can’t get the purple) and put them in isolation box. Even in isolation box. The purple keeps harassing them trying to attack. Question is will the purple learn to give up and not chase after a week or 2?

OP
OP
D

DTz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size tank do you have and how long has it been running? Purple tang are known to be aggressive.
6x2.5x2.5 tank. 300 gallon. Just got a fish wiped out cause my wife dropped soap in it. Restocked 2 weeks ago. Current tang in it ( hippo, sailfin, purple tang and 2x yellow tang. Achilles gem tang otw

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have to change and put the purple in confinement rather than the other way around. Maybe put the purple in the sump for several months until the yellow get established or trade the purple for a smaller purple tang.

PharmrJohn

The Dude
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6x2.5x2.5 tank. 300 gallon. Just got a fish wiped out cause my wife dropped soap in it. Restocked 2 weeks ago. Current tang in it ( hippo, sailfin, purple tang and 2x yellow tang. Achilles gem tang otw

I lucked out, but my wife, years ago was spraying Windex judiciously around the tank, cleaning the sliding glass door on one side and the door glass (leading to the Sun Room) on the other side. I freaked. No issues tho. Thankfully. Sorry about your lost livestock. No Bueno.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 58 73.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 12.7%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.6%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back