Purple tang

bonomo53

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what kind of tang is in there? How big is the tank and how long has the tang been in there?

OP
OP
C

Corals Haven

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is 150g 6ft wide, tall, and 18" depth. I have a purple tang in there with 2 clown fish, hawk fish, midas blenny, and 2 chromis. I want to add another purple tang so they can pair up...
The tang has been in there for about 4 months.

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what about introducing a new purple tang to an already established tank with a tang in it?

Most people have issues with this and end up with the conclusion that tangs are aggressive. In my reef tanks as well as my fish only and frag tanks I have always kept lots of tangs. And over the years there has been very little aggression.

Of course, when I had a lrg Sohal that was different. I have never had less than 3 yellow tangs in any of my tanks. And adding additional purples in singles or groups has led to some initial fighting (maybe 24hrs) and then everything chills out.

With my current stock list I have 9 yellow tangs. 3 of them are large yellows which I have had for maybe 5-6 years. In the last year I added small yellows and there was some fin nipping the first night but now I have 9 yellows with no fighting. I added the purple tang a little over a year ago, and got him small/medium sized and he joined the yellows without any issue at all.

In addition to the zebrasoma, there are 2 chevrons, one who was added at the time the size of a quarter, and nobody ever touched him.

Two blue tangs

And an Achilles.

So when you deal with single fish it seems there is alot more aggression between them. My experience has taught me that keeping odd numbers of what some perceive as aggressive fish keeps them well behaved.

Dave B

OP
OP
C

Corals Haven

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So to my understanding they, may/are going to fight for a little bit/while but will eventually cool down.
Is this correct?

eliramos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yea with tangs its always best to try uneven numbers usually 3-5-7 etc, mated pairs ive never heard of, im pretty sure most tangs just spawn in the open and dont pair up like a mass release of eggs and sperm in the sea, at least thats what ive seen mostly. dont qoute me on it.:crossedlips:

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 171 73.1%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.3%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 41 17.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.1%
Back