Put a bottle in your tank

Raymech

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Came across this scene in Santo, Vanuatu.
Will often find bottles providing a habitat for fish and critters.
Back home in Sydney, divers here know not to mess with bottles or risk a fatal bite from a blue ring octopus hiding inside.

LRM_EXPORT_485000563571500_20181122_070026006.jpeg

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I told you it was natural. :D

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I saw the the title and thought this is nuts.... but as it pays to read on, very cool idea and no different than you see in parts of the ocean bottom.
How much are those frags (bottles of course)

herring-fish-drinking-beer-bottle-17406515.jpg

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy Birthday @Paul B

Thanks for starting this thread a few years ago I just read it (I skipped a few pages because I’m old and sitting in the car too tired to walk inside so I was reading everything about the tank bottles.

Reminded me I need to go to CVS and pick up my meds. Thanks for the remind. I’ve got a couple of bottles from out of the ocean but I put them in the recycle. Next one I’m posting on here for sale. Thanks for opening a new market here, and the CVS remind! Nice thread sir.

Beth Villmow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the idea and the look! Thanks for the directions to do it myself although I wouldn't turn down the"made ahead" ones either!

Beth Villmow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Paul, I pick up bottles that look like this all the time when we walk the beaches of SW Florida or down in the Keys. If you need more you can just ask and I'll send you some. No need for an old guy like you to risk bleeding all over a broken bottle when I get them pre-prepped with coraline, barnacles and sometimes even coral for free!

As always Paul, love your style, your writing and your attitude... oh, and happy birthday. I did something similar to you. I couldn't control my birthday, but me and old what's her name met on the 4th of July and got married on the 4th of July 4 years later. So even if I forget, everybody else in the US celebrates it. People are so nice to throw parties and shoot off fireworks for our anniversary.
Love the idea of pre-made bottles! Would like to get a hold of some real interesting ones if you're willing?

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Come here, I will give you one. :cool:

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the idea of pre-made bottles! Would like to get a hold of some real interesting ones if you're willing?
Are you serious? And if you are, just what do you mean by "real interesting ones"? What would make a bottle interesting to you?

We don't have a snorkel trip planned yet for this year, but we have started looking at dates around mid May. And maybe I need to make this bottle clean up idea part of the article I'm writing about doing a snorkel weekend in the Florida Keys.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Reef-junky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely an interesting concept and there are some cool looking bottles out there.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See, The gobi loves it. :p

sixline

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See, The gobi loves it. :p

Yeah, there are now two gobies living in there. I'll try and get a picture of both of them sticking their heads out when I get my new lens in a few days.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, there are now two gobies living in there. I'll try and get a picture of both of them sticking their heads out when I get my new lens in a few days.
Think you might be needing an harlequin shrimp in your tank.

EMeyer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw the title and thought, what strange parallel universe have I stumbled into that PaulB is recommending bottled additives? :eek:

My next thought was, I bet the process of adding this bottle to your tank affects the bacterial community in your tank as much as many products on the market :)

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back