Put a live camera here on your tank and here and here and here! What about you?

How many LIVE cameras do you have on your reef system?

• None

Votes: 453 67.6%

Votes: 134 20.0%

Votes: 45 6.7%

Votes: 19 2.8%

Votes: 10 1.5%
  • 5+

Votes: 9 1.3%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Let's talk about cameras on our reef tanks again! A member recently started a thread about which camera to use so I thought we could take it up a notch and talk about which ones and where to put them! Little WiFi cameras are so cheap nowadays and I have found the peace of mind they can give you is invaluable! They can also be something that can save your tank! They have been for me.

Today let's talk about tank cameras.

1. How many cameras do you have and where do you place them?

2. Which cameras are you using and are you happy with them?

@JMacedo's watching his reef from his phone while on vacation
1599056875769.png

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I purchased these cameras over 3 years ago and while they have been good they are also a pain to connect to your network the first time. They make even better cameras now. Here are what I use.

My Cameras

I have purchased two sets and I have 2 now that won't connect for anything!

I set my cameras up on strategic places that I want to see if I am out of town. My list is as follows.
  • Full front shot of the reef
  • Right side of the reef
  • Left side of the reef
  • Full Tank Room
  • Sump View
  • Frag Tank View
  • Auto Top Off View

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use external overflow box on 180 gallon tank. I have a level sensor in the box so if the siphon should fail, the water will rise and I will be notified.

The camera is pointed at the water level so I can visually see that the sensor is correct and not a false alarm. I test the alarm weekly and it works, never a false but I like the added security. Its technically a cat cam and its in a position I can see my other little monster as well. Sorry its too cute.

IMG_1816.JPG

Kris 2020

Super Active Excellent Well Known Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some cheap pet web cams, one is pointed at my tank upstairs and one on the sump downstairs. I don't have them on there to actually watch my fish, just to keep an eye out that everything is running OK. I would love some good ones that actually could give you a fts, but I don't think I have a spot to put them where they wouldn't be in the way in the living room.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm pretty shocked to see all these votes that don't have a camera on their reef. I don't think you have to have one but for me it's peace of mind! I've had MANY times where the tank sitter came is to something beeping or gurgling and I was able to pull up the camera and diagnose an issue. Then after they have left was able to check back in via the camera. Even had to call someone at midnight because I spotted an issue.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have one now but would like to get one for my sump. Anyone have a link to buy a good one for my sump?

This is something that Neptune needs to add to its line up and programming

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have one now but would like to get one for my sump. Anyone have a link to buy a good one for my sump?

This is something that Neptune needs to add to its line up and programming
Wyze

BackToTheReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I thought it would be pretty cool to have one set up but my luck is I would share the link or accidentally start streaming live and be standing in front of my tank in my underwear, picking my nose, scratching my butt, running to grab a towel out of the laundry room naked, or some other equally embarrassing thing and have it stream all over god's green earth!

Never really considered it a monitoring tool!

(While I don't wear a tin foil hat, the potential of hacking into it also makes me a little uneasy)

SPS2020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Wyze x 2. They are cheap and work very well. One under the stand with a good shot of the sump from above to see everything is behaving. Another on the right side of the reef shooting down the side. I can see the lights, surface of the water, all the way to the bottom and down the length of the tank.

Justin Opheim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use 3 on my tank. I have one in my sump over looking my sump . One is a side view to just look at the tank inside, and the last one is a camera that over looks the whole tank from a distance.

I really would like to find a cheap option to link to my Apex, but I think I am getting over that.

ChrisNH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My system is small enough and the sump is open so I can get away with one camera for both sump and tank. I have a light in the sump hooked up to the reef-pi so I can turn a light on there remotely if I need to.

If anyone breaks into the house, hopefully they stop and look at the tank!

Reefacist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently bought a Wyze cam as well. My tank isn’t even done yet but at 25$ we should ALL buy one for our tanks. If you are at work and get alerted from an equipment i think it will be nice to see just how big of an issue it really is before you leave work.

Woodyth

PITTER PATTER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run an extra nest cam I have with a suction cup from amazon. Glass mount works well. It does fall sometimes, but not often and just got in the habit of wiping off when cleaning glass. I like to move it so the kiddos in my wife's class can see different angles of it and different livestock. It has been a godsend with distance learning. Kindergarten is pretty tough work, looking forward to watching the tank at rest time is an added bonus for these kiddos.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 31 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back