Putting a Majestic Foxface in as a first fish

Jwise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering opinions on putting a Majestic Foxface in as the first fish in a newly set up aquarium after the cycle is done so he can establish his territory before any tangs or other fish can because i know that they are a timid fish based on previously keeping other types of them before. I think that its a good idea because of that reason and that they are hardy and are a utilitarian fish

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just keep in-mind that rabbitfish are flagged as "reef safe with caution", meaning that if kept well fed they'll probably (but not always) leave your LPS and soft corals alone. Also note the venomous dorsal spine which you don't want to come into contact with. That being said, I might start with a smaller (cheaper) fish as your first foray into the tank - something like a chromis or clownfish.

OP
OP
Jwise

Jwise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand them not being reef safe if not well fed and never had that problem but i was worried about hardiness in a newly established aquarium and didn't want to start with a damsel species because im going to get a gold nugget maroon and didn't want aggression issues with having her established first i wanted more timid fish to get comfortable and get its territory first before introducing aggressive fish which will come in later

OP
OP
Jwise

Jwise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something with peacefulness like the Foxface or gobies

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 41.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 34.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back