PVC glue drying time

mark freshwater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi ,
I've been gluing some pvc for my sump i'm adding ,
the directions say 24 hrs drying time , is this for strength ? as i cant get anything apart after about 5 mins ( trust me i tried when i miss measured )
I wouldn't imagine its for toxin as it is for drinking water etc?
Just wondering because i've only got a couple more things to glue in the morning and its ready to run , wondering if i have to wait the full 24hrs as ive seen plumbers fix things and use virtually straight away etc.
Thanks
Mark

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the amount of pressure that will be on the pipes, you should be fine. I'd still say give it an hour or so to dry then you can start putting water through the pipes. If you are filling the tank, that'll add some more time too. I've done it without any issues whatsoever.

OP
OP
M

mark freshwater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok sounds good , just adding an overflow box and sump , so just got to fill the sump.

Burrito

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve used glued pvc in as little as 15 minutes. Give it an hour and your good to go, if your doing a whole system plumbing then why chance it (if there is a chance) and wait a day

OP
OP
M

mark freshwater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the return and the main fittings are done its just the overflow piping from box to sump left , i might just wait 10-12 hours as i dont want to leave the skimmer etc off to long

LobsterOfJustice

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What type of cement are you using that recommends a 24hr drying time? I usually try to wait 15 min but I have put pipes into service immediately several times and never had an issue.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually try to wait 15 min but I have put pipes into service immediately several times and never had an issue.

Likewise. I also only put solvent on the pipe (not inside the fitting) so that no globs of solvent can be pushed inside the plumbing.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back