PVC Glue in aquarium

Mike N

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While the piping above our aquarium was being installed, a drop of PVC glue fell into the empty tank. This wasn't noticed until later, well after the glue had dried.
Will this cause problems? What is the best way to clean if so?

kschweer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t be too worried about it. Once dry it’s pretty harmless. You can try scraping it off with a sharp razor or possibly put a bit of PVC primer on a rag and wipe it off. It should soften it enough to remove it. I have dripped PVC glue in my sump before (fully set up tank) with no issues at all and have done plumbing changes where I have glued pipes up and ran the tank within 5 or so minutes again with no issues. Not saying I recommend doing either, just trying to reassure you not to worry.

OP
OP
Mike N

Mike N

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it’s dried then you shouldn’t have any problems. I would think you could scrape it off.

I wouldn’t be too worried about it. Once dry it’s pretty harmless. You can try scraping it off with a sharp razor or possibly put a bit of PVC primer on a rag and wipe it off. It should soften it enough to remove it. I have dripped PVC glue in my sump before (fully set up tank) with no issues at all and have done plumbing changes where I have glued pipes up and ran the tank within 5 or so minutes again with no issues. Not saying I recommend doing either, just trying to reassure you not to worry.
Thanks for the information! I'm definitely less worried now :D

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back