PVC Glue in aquarium

Mike N

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 21, 2017
Messages
1,777
Reaction score
1,566
Location
Houston, TX
What state or country do you live in
Texas
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While the piping above our aquarium was being installed, a drop of PVC glue fell into the empty tank. This wasn't noticed until later, well after the glue had dried.
Will this cause problems? What is the best way to clean if so?
 
I wouldn’t be too worried about it. Once dry it’s pretty harmless. You can try scraping it off with a sharp razor or possibly put a bit of PVC primer on a rag and wipe it off. It should soften it enough to remove it. I have dripped PVC glue in my sump before (fully set up tank) with no issues at all and have done plumbing changes where I have glued pipes up and ran the tank within 5 or so minutes again with no issues. Not saying I recommend doing either, just trying to reassure you not to worry.
 
If it’s dried then you shouldn’t have any problems. I would think you could scrape it off.

I wouldn’t be too worried about it. Once dry it’s pretty harmless. You can try scraping it off with a sharp razor or possibly put a bit of PVC primer on a rag and wipe it off. It should soften it enough to remove it. I have dripped PVC glue in my sump before (fully set up tank) with no issues at all and have done plumbing changes where I have glued pipes up and ran the tank within 5 or so minutes again with no issues. Not saying I recommend doing either, just trying to reassure you not to worry.
Thanks for the information! I'm definitely less worried now :D
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 8 27.6%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 10 34.5%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 20.7%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 10.3%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 8 27.6%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 7 24.1%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 31.0%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 7 24.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new