QT dilemma

hans4811

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I’ve actually put in about 5 lbs of LR along with the bubble filter after soaking in my sump for a while. Cycling in my QT hasn’t been an issue, however I do monitor my copper closely as I know the rock will absorb some of it.
for the next round of fish I empty, toss the rock and start anew with a seeded sponge again. Will add a small powerhead the next time.
Question for a guy new to the QT process...I thought you weren't supposed to add LR when using copper, as it can soak up the medicine ? Just curious, though it seems you got her all healthy again !! Nice job...love seeing a success story !

Ken

OP
OP
Quarryshark

Quarryshark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question for a guy new to the QT process...I thought you weren't supposed to add LR when using copper, as it can soak up the medicine ? Just curious, though it seems you got her all healthy again !! Nice job...love seeing a success story !

Ken
Hey Ken!
Yep, she’s healthy as can be and been in the DT for 2 weeks now. I know that using LR goes against conventional wisdom, but it worked for me. It will NEVER end up in my DT though.
I used it when I first set up QT to help cycle and just left it in there as I am currently running my QT for the long term while stocking. I’m sure it absorbed some copper, but I monitor daily and haven’t had any issues. Good luck to you! Kurt

86883676-32D6-46FF-8A2D-76B6D4BF9904.jpeg

hans4811

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to know, thanks for the update Kurt, glad it worked out for you. Beautiful fish btw! Looks like you got a good sized tank to hold her in...

I've never done a QT before, and just trying to absorb and read as much as I can.

OP
OP
Quarryshark

Quarryshark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a 180. I like my fish to have room to grow.
best of luck to you. I truly am a believer in QT and I’m glad to see that you are going down that road. Can save a lot of heartache in the long run!

hans4811

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a 180. I like my fish to have room to grow.
best of luck to you. I truly am a believer in QT and I’m glad to see that you are going down that road. Can save a lot of heartache in the long run!
Somewhat forced into it if you will...just had a Brook outbreak in my 75gal tank...wiped out 3/4 of my fish..clowns, blenny, cardinals, yellow tang, blue hippo tang, flame angel, and my fav..engineer goby. Was heartbreakng..down to my last 5. The angel was the last about 2 weeks ago now, so setting up a QT and go from there.

OP
OP
Quarryshark

Quarryshark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Somewhat forced into it if you will...just had a Brook outbreak in my 75gal tank...wiped out 3/4 of my fish..clowns, blenny, cardinals, yellow tang, blue hippo tang, flame angel, and my fav..engineer goby. Was heartbreakng..down to my last 5. The angel was the last about 2 weeks ago now, so setting up a QT and go from there.
Oh man sorry, that’s really sucks. I went through a similar ordeal years ago in a previous tank with ich, lost quite a few fish before I figured it out.
You do know that once you get the remaining fish in QT you’ll need to buckle up and leave the main tank fishless (no hosts) for about 80 days to allow of the parasitic invasion to go though it’s lifecycle and die off completely. It’s going to be a lot of work to manage, but will be worth it in the long run.
Keep us posted!

Reef AquaCult

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about this, what was the source of the brook, a new clownfish perhaps?

hans4811

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh man sorry, that’s really sucks. I went through a similar ordeal years ago in a previous tank with ich, lost quite a few fish before I figured it out.
You do know that once you get the remaining fish in QT you’ll need to buckle up and leave the main tank fishless (no hosts) for about 80 days to allow of the parasitic invasion to go though it’s lifecycle and die off completely. It’s going to be a lot of work to manage, but will be worth it in the long run.
Keep us posted!
Unfortunately, yes....

hans4811

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about this, what was the source of the brook, a new clownfish perhaps?
I'm not sure, as I had these fish all together with no issues for some time and I hadn't introduced any new fish. I think it was from some coral that I bought from a local guy where I live that was tearing down his tank and getting rid of some awesome sized corals...fist sized hammer and duncan, palm sized Galaxea, trumpet with 7 branches, acan, blasto and a zoa colony on a rock....dipped em all and scrubbed the rock, but I think something got in. Paid the piper !

Reef AquaCult

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure, as I had these fish all together with no issues for some time and I hadn't introduced any new fish. I think it was from some coral that I bought from a local guy where I live that was tearing down his tank and getting rid of some awesome sized corals...fist sized hammer and duncan, palm sized Galaxea, trumpet with 7 branches, acan, blasto and a zoa colony on a rock....dipped em all and scrubbed the rock, but I think something got in. Paid the piper !
That's too bad. I just picked up some similar sized corals from a hobbyist and threw them right in QT. Can't be too safe. Good luck getting back on track

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back