QT new fish questions

KevPool

Blue-Collar Reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Heya folks.

couple questions on QTing new fish. when I set up the QT tank is it necessary to add a wavemaker or is the filter enough water movement for the fish? For lighting something simple would be fine? also what is the general rule of thumb to QT a new fish time wize?

Thanks in advance.

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED lighting

Old Fritz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
It all depends are what you are doing during qt.
If you are just observing I would do two months and no wavemaker would be necessary.

If you're treating just for ich/velvet with copper I would do a month of that. I recommend an airstone over a wave maker personally.

If you're doing what I do for qt which is a month of copper for ich/velvet and then approximately 2 weeks on antiparasitic medication (api general cure or prazipro and metroplex). Again I recommend an airstone.

inktomi

ReefMan
View Badges
Reaction score
I just use an airstone and a little powerhead for water flow, along with some PVC.

I have a Copperband in quarantine at the moment and I did sacrifice a piece of live rock from my display so that it would have something to pick at while I worked on getting it feeding. I wouldn't usually recommend doing that though, and the live rock is super suspect and probably never going back into my display now.

OP
KevPool

KevPool

Blue-Collar Reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
yeah it would be mainly for observation, the LFS I deal with is always super clean but I have a 30 gal tank sitting around doing nothing so I thought it would be a good idea to set it up and cycle it for some new fish I plan on buying over the next while.

Do you have any special reefing upgrades or projects planned coming up?

• Yes (please tell us what in the thread)

Votes: 47 60.3%
  • NO

Votes: 21 26.9%
  • Maybe (tell us)

Votes: 9 11.5%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 1 1.3%

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors
Budman's Corals LLC