QT new fish questions

KevPool

Blue-Collar Reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heya folks.

couple questions on QTing new fish. when I set up the QT tank is it necessary to add a wavemaker or is the filter enough water movement for the fish? For lighting something simple would be fine? also what is the general rule of thumb to QT a new fish time wize?

Thanks in advance.

Old Fritz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It all depends are what you are doing during qt.
If you are just observing I would do two months and no wavemaker would be necessary.

If you're treating just for ich/velvet with copper I would do a month of that. I recommend an airstone over a wave maker personally.

If you're doing what I do for qt which is a month of copper for ich/velvet and then approximately 2 weeks on antiparasitic medication (api general cure or prazipro and metroplex). Again I recommend an airstone.

inktomi

ReefMan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just use an airstone and a little powerhead for water flow, along with some PVC.

I have a Copperband in quarantine at the moment and I did sacrifice a piece of live rock from my display so that it would have something to pick at while I worked on getting it feeding. I wouldn't usually recommend doing that though, and the live rock is super suspect and probably never going back into my display now.

OP
OP
KevPool

KevPool

Blue-Collar Reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah it would be mainly for observation, the LFS I deal with is always super clean but I have a 30 gal tank sitting around doing nothing so I thought it would be a good idea to set it up and cycle it for some new fish I plan on buying over the next while.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 58.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 23 28.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
Back