QT of Achilles tang. Ending up having Flukes and losing his eye....

Badilac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here is my diary of my Achilles tang. How should I continue? Just keep keep following my plan?
8/30 Purchased and put in QT in copper power at 1.25
8/31 increased copper power to 1.82
9/1 7pm he started looking something might be wrong (marks on his body, tail fin missing a piece) and was swimming into the flow of the power head so I decided to dose the tank with Prazipro.
9/2 9pm the condition was the same and he was still eating fine.
9/3 5am same condition
9/3 4pm his eye looked terrible like it was peeling and something was in it. So I decided to do a freshwater dip (5mins), during the dip a fluke popped off / out of his eye. No other flukes were found. When I saw how bad his eye was I panicked and dosed the tank with Metro.
9/4 5pm ammonia was raising so I did a 50% water change with the new water at 1.80 copper power. I also dosed with Kanaplex.
9/6 looks like he is losing his eye but he is still eating and his skin is looking healthy. dosed a 2nd round of Kanaplex.
9/7 Tested copper with the hanna and it was reading 3.59 and 3.6 I assume because of the other medications changing the color of the water giving false readings.
9/8 second dose of Prazipro.
9/9 eating well pretty sure he will lose his eye. over all looking healthy and acting normal
9/10 eating well still looking healthy and eating well.

So the rest of my plan is:
9/15 to transfer him out of copper to a new QT tank and treat with 2 rounds of GC 7 days apart.
What else should I do? should I plan to transfer him to the DT after 30 days in QT still? For a total of 14 days copper, 2 rounds of Prazipro and 2 rounds of GC.

See attached pictures of progression.
9-1 his body had some marks on it and wasnt looking good
9-2 his eye was normal
9-3 his eye was horrible this was right before the FW dip
Pic Fluke is the Fluke that popped out of his eye
9-9 his eye looks lost but healing
9-10 his eye looks lost but healing different angle.

He is hard to take pictures of because he keeps his good eye on me and the bad one away from me.

9-1.jpg 9-2.jpg 9-3.jpg 9-9.jpg 9-10.jpg Fluke.jpg

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Fish continues to eat normally? Acting ok otherwise? You may see some unusual swimming patterns and a bit of difficulty with the loss of the eye. As long as the fish is eating well I would stay the course.

@4FordFamily kept an achilles with one eye for quite some time. Actually he kept it with another achilles in the same tank if I remember correctly!!! :)

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Fish continues to eat normally? Acting ok otherwise? You may see some unusual swimming patterns and a bit of difficulty with the loss of the eye. As long as the fish is eating well I would stay the course.

@4FordFamily kept an achilles with one eye for quite some time. Actually he kept it with another achilles in the same tank if I remember correctly!!! :)
Yup, mine adapted just fine. Lived until a power outage took him out! Very well-behaved for an Achilles as a result!

OP
OP
Badilac

Badilac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @HotRocks @4FordFamily. Guess I haven’t messed up too bad from panicking. I think he is doing great considering the loss of an eye. His body looks healthy and he’s eating good. Anything else I should treat with for the lost eye or just let it heal on it’s own?

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try to scare him off from the side of the affected eye or maybe turn on a flashlight to see if he reacts that would mean eye isnt lost yet.
He might have had many flakes that were killed by prazi before the fw dip as well

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @HotRocks @4FordFamily. Guess I haven’t messed up too bad from panicking. I think he is doing great considering the loss of an eye. His body looks healthy and he’s eating good. Anything else I should treat with for the lost eye or just let it heal on it’s own?
No problem, nope best thing here is just give it time and low stress environment.

OP
OP
Badilac

Badilac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try to scare him off from the side of the affected eye or maybe turn on a flashlight to see if he reacts that would mean eye isnt lost yet.
He might have had many flakes that were killed by prazi before the fw dip as well
Good point about them being killed before the FW dip, since I treated before the dip. I really have feed him to get him to show me the eye and then it is only for a quick moment. I have tried the flash light. One thing to note is with the camera that I have watching him, at night (night vision mode) you do not see his bad eye glowing like his good one. It's like there is no eye there at all, that is one other reason I think its a goner.

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If sounds like his eye is a goner but he will be fine and likely live a happy life as a cyclops! :)

OP
OP
Badilac

Badilac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@4FordFamily @HotRocks So the Achilles Tang was in copper power at 1.80 - 1-88 for 14 days then moved him to a fresh sterile tank. About 5 days in the sterile tank (treating with GC) I notice he has Velvet, so I’ve started treatment with CP this time. He currently is not eating and that started the day I noticed the Velvet (Friday). Yesterday and Today (Tuesday) he took some food in his mouth but spit it back out. I can’t get him to eat at all. His breathing is back to normal compared to the day I noticed Velvet on him. Hoping he pulls through... he has been through a ton. Flukes, lost his eye, Velvet.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@4FordFamily @HotRocks So the Achilles Tang was in copper power at 1.80 - 1-88 for 14 days then moved him to a fresh sterile tank. About 5 days in the sterile tank (treating with GC) I notice he has Velvet, so I’ve started treatment with CP this time. He currently is not eating and that started the day I noticed the Velvet (Friday). Yesterday and Today (Tuesday) he took some food in his mouth but spit it back out. I can’t get him to eat at all. His breathing is back to normal compared to the day I noticed Velvet on him. Hoping he pulls through... he has been through a ton. Flukes, lost his eye, Velvet.
Sound familiar @4FordFamily?
We have been treating in the 2.25ppm range because velvet was making It though the 1.75 range.

You can try live blackworms or live brine to see if that will get the fish eating again. Once they stop it can be difficult to get them to pick back up. What about nori? Are you offering it?

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sound familiar @4FordFamily?
We have been treating in the 2.25ppm range because velvet was making It though the 1.75 range.

You can try live blackworms or live brine to see if that will get the fish eating again. Once they stop it can be difficult to get them to pick back up. What about nori? Are you offering it?
Yup sure it does. I recommend live brine! Sorry op, I know how much fun this is not :(

OP
OP
Badilac

Badilac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys. I have tried Nori, flake food, pellets, flakes soaked in garlic. I’m going to try to find some brine or blackworms tomorrow. Yes none of this is fun! I feel so bad for this poor guy.

mikeintoronto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try mysis. It seems to work well with Achilles tangs and stimulating them to eat. I started using it under the advice of a vendor for my past Achilles tangs. Now I use it for all hard-to-feed fishes like anthias.

OP
OP
Badilac

Badilac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried Mysis today and still nothing. He took it in his mouth a few times but spit it out. I could not find any live food today :( so disappointed. I hope I don’t lose him.

OP
OP
Badilac

Badilac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! I just saw this! Sorry about the poor guy! How's he doing today?
Well he started eating some flake food and nori this evening. So about a full 7 days before he started eating again. An eye infection (cloudy eye) started 2 days ago so I started treating that immediately with kanaplex. That should be cleared up in a few more days and hoping he continues to eat and get better. It’s been a rough road but we have never given up on him.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 139 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.1%
Back