QT of Achilles tang. Ending up having Flukes and losing his eye....

OP
OP
Badilac

Badilac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I think he will pull through. He is eating much more aggressively today. I’m just gonna keep pushing on this poor Achilles. Earlier in the week I was ready to throw in the towel and start digging a hole for him in the back yard.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I think he will pull through. He is eating much more aggressively today. I’m just gonna keep pushing on this poor Achilles. Earlier in the week I was ready to throw in the towel and start digging a hole for him in the back yard.
Good stuff!!

BayouReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOW! that poor fish has been through so much. And I have heard how hard to is to keep an Achilles tang to start with. When you pull this one through you will have earned your badge!

OP
OP
Badilac

Badilac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@4FordFamily @HotRocks ok so today is 14 days in CP so I was gonna transfer to a sterile tank but now I notice these two bumps on his nose. What are they and how do I treat? Should I do the move to the sterile tank?

FF46C80C-246A-4CF4-B7C0-E9E3C1515CAB.jpeg BF67ECAE-9E37-45FD-BD5C-9F3287E34A58.jpeg

OP
OP
Badilac

Badilac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well just moved him to a sterile tank and did a fresh water dip before putting him in the fresh tank pre-dosed with GC. During the FW dip a saw a worm like white object leaving that spot on his nose. Never saw it land in the bucket or was able to see it “swim” away. But now it looks better so what was it? Look at the pictures below and you will see how there is no “white head” now just a white wound.

803207B9-7221-4EB7-8E09-A086DD3576EE.jpeg E8FE155B-6193-471C-B0D7-0245B24CCBFC.jpeg

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A prazi bath would be a good idea

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For how long and at what concentration? Then can I move back into the current tank?
I always follow the bottle I don’t have one handy unfortunately. :)

Five minutes should suffice

OP
OP
Badilac

Badilac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to give everyone an update. The Achilles tang named Zeus has lived through Flukes, losing an eye (to flukes), Velvet, not eating for 8+ days, some other type of worm that invaded his snout, 14 days of copper, 14 days of CP, multiple treatments of GC and Prazi. He has been in the DT tank for a few weeks now and is healthy. I had to move my Purple tang down to the fuge due to aggression but I will try to reintroduce her soon if it doesnt work out she will be moved.

OP
OP
Badilac

Badilac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I reintroduced the purple tang last night along with 5 small fish that just came out of QT and the Achilles was a complete jerk to everyone so I put the mirror up last night and left it up until this evening. The Achilles (Zeus) attacked it all night and all day. He seems to be doing a lot better with the purple tang now just swiping at her every so often. He completely ignores all the small fish now which is good. So I think everything is working out.

cancun

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I reintroduced the purple tang last night along with 5 small fish that just came out of QT and the Achilles was a complete jerk to everyone so I put the mirror up last night and left it up until this evening. The Achilles (Zeus) attacked it all night and all day. He seems to be doing a lot better with the purple tang now just swiping at her every so often. He completely ignores all the small fish now which is good. So I think everything is working out.
Great job! You did a excellent job caring for this already tough to keep fish!!! I am so happy it worked out, and there was a happy ending!!!!!

HighChiefKC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a quick update the 1 eyed Achilles is still doing great and lives with 8 other tangs. He and the Sohal are the bosses. The Sohal keeps everyone in check but the Achilles but the Achilles keeps the Sohal in check.
Just read whole thread. Great work and a learning experience for all of us! Any pics or full tank shots? How big is your display?

OP
OP
Badilac

Badilac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just read whole thread. Great work and a learning experience for all of us! Any pics or full tank shots? How big is your display?
I haven’t updated my build thread in quite some time but my tank can be seen there. DT is 8ft 240 system is over 300

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 147 75.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 16 8.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 29 14.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back