QT Question? Re: Copper

UncleSalty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I currently have a Regal and 3 Bimaculatus Anthias in QT. I noticed flukes immediately upon arrival, so we started with API GC. They've successfully gone through two rounds at this point, and all fish look incredible and are eating well.

I noticed in Humblefish's and HotRocks QT procedures, they always start with Copper. I haven't treated with Copper and to this point, I haven't found a need too (with these fish).

Am I overlooking something? If I see nothing else on the fish, is there a reason to treat with Copper? I have no problems doing it - but to my knowledge, Ich is the main thing treated by Copper, and if I don't see any signs of it, do I need to even do it? Is it used as a "just in case?"

Would appreciate any insight! Right now they all look great, eating lots - and I was going to observe them for a couple weeks to make sure I saw nothing else, but if they 'need' copper, then I'd like to go ahead and start that!

Qasimja

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it comes down to how you want to QT really some people treat with copper regardless for 30 days some monitor for 4-6 weeks and if they dont have to treat with copper they wont

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I currently have a Regal and 3 Bimaculatus Anthias in QT. I noticed flukes immediately upon arrival, so we started with API GC. They've successfully gone through two rounds at this point, and all fish look incredible and are eating well.

I noticed in Humblefish's and HotRocks QT procedures, they always start with Copper. I haven't treated with Copper and to this point, I haven't found a need too (with these fish).

Am I overlooking something? If I see nothing else on the fish, is there a reason to treat with Copper? I have no problems doing it - but to my knowledge, Ich is the main thing treated by Copper, and if I don't see any signs of it, do I need to even do it? Is it used as a "just in case?"

Would appreciate any insight! Right now they all look great, eating lots - and I was going to observe them for a couple weeks to make sure I saw nothing else, but if they 'need' copper, then I'd like to go ahead and start that!
Great questions.
Many that treat their fish prophylactically for flukes/worms and ich/velvet/Brook/uronema used to treat for flukes/worms first then for ich/velvet, etc. But a couple of years ago velvet was rampant in the supply chain. So we flipped and started with copper and then prazi/metro as the ich/velvet was the more urgent need.

As far as treating with copper, CP, TTM, etc. it makes sure you are not adding a fish to your DT that may be a carrier of ich or velvet parasites.

Personally, I now QT everything "wet" that is coming into my DT. I treat all incoming fish prophylactically, I dip and QT my corals and inverts. My tank is parasite free. Before I did this, I had a tank wiped out by velvet. It wasn't pretty. Almost gave up the hobby.

Best of luck with your new fish! :D

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 26.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 32.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 30.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back