Quarantine is already paying off. But now I have more questions.

ReefKeeper666

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after my battle with velvet I began to quarantine my fish. I am currently quarantining my 2nd fish, a clown goby. He was treated with prozi pro about 4 days after i got him home, and again 5 days ago. Today I looked at him and he has several white dots on him(obviously ich). I could only imagine how irritated I’d be if he was in my Main tank. I totally see why QTing fish is worth while. But my questions are...

Did he develop ich from stress? Transportation/prozi pro treatment etc?
does this mean he had the ich from the store I got him from?
how long should I treat him with copper for now?

lastly clown gobie seems to be a picky eater he dosent like mysis much. Any food suggestions?

muzikalmatt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ich is a parasite, so the only way he could get it is if he already had it or it was somehow added or transferred to the QT tank. Odds are he already had it and just finally started showing symptoms.

As far as treatment, typically you need to treat with copper at therapeutic levels for a minimum of 14 days, up to a full 30 days of necessary, but keeping fish in copper that long tends to stress them out.

After completing the copper treatment you should observe at least another couple of weeks to ensure the ich parasite has been fully eradicated.

This is really just a Cliff's Notes summary of the treatment process and I highly recommend checking out some of the sticky threads in the fish disease forum for more detailed information.

As far as feeding the clown goby, live brine shrimp is really good for getting picky eaters to eat. I have also heard good things about masstick. You can also try soaking your mysis in selcon and garlic to entice him to eat it.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 52 20.2%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 1.9%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 189 73.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.7%
Back