Quarantine (or not) methods and outcomes - too much for a poll

2Wheelsonly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Do you use any quarantine/isolation method? No

2. If you use any method other than just adding the fish to the display tank, please describe it. Include medications, sterile tank vs. cycled with rocks and sand (or anything else), TTM, etc. No

3. Approximately how long have you been following your current method? 11 years

4. If you use any type of quarantine, what percentage (roughly) of quarantined fish live through the entire quarantine process? If you add fish directly to the display, approximately how many live to become part of your fish community? I had one bad velvet outbreak which interestingly enough I got through a powder brown tang that my LFS QT'ed for me for 4 weeks while my tank was being built. It wiped out my 12 fish population, other than that I have had 5 deaths mostly Anthias that would not eat.

5. Do you quarantine inverts and coral? If so, how? I never used to but I feel dipping is not effective against AEFW as the eggs are what's going to get you. I find that very rarely you're going to get a fresh cut with worms and no eggs. When you get hit with AEFW it will take it's toll on your tank if you are primarily SPS. Eggs will not be killed with ANY dip so a QT is a must. Even with magnifying glass full on inspection I let one slip through the cracks and I only buy from reputable vendors for my SPS. It's bugged me enough lately that I recently invested over $4,000 on a full blow QT system to house all SPS for 2 months before going into display. If I did not primarily run SPS then I would not QT corals.

6. Have you experienced disease outbreaks in your display tank while using your method? Velvet once, AEFW

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 29 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 131 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 15 6.7%
Back