Quarantine tank help needed

scott11106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 55g QT tank and i am having trouble with the process.

I am following the standard procedure of getting fish, drip and temperature acclimating and the 24hrs later starting the process:

1. On day two, medicate with Prazipro.
  2. On day seven, perform a 50% water change with new saltwater only.
  3. Begin your Cupramine medication after the water change.
  4. re-dose Prazipro at this time.
my problem is that the tank gets so dirty and cloudy that i am not sure that i am not doing this correctly? am i supposed to run anything in the media to clean or keep the water ok?

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
What are you using for biological filtration? I use a large seeded sponge filter in my 20 gallon qt tank.
Do you use anything for mechanical filtration? ( hang-on filter?) I use a hang on back filter with sponges to trap uneaten food. I change this out every few days.
A 55 is a pretty big tank for a qt tank. How many fish and how big are they?

And I think I've read that using prazi with copper in the tank can cause bacterial bloom.

OP
OP
scott11106

scott11106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you using for biological filtration? I use a large seeded sponge filter in my 20 gallon qt tank.
Do you use anything for mechanical filtration? ( hang-on filter?) I use a hang on back filter with sponges to trap uneaten food. I change this out every few days.
A 55 is a pretty big tank for a qt tank. How many fish and how big are they?

And I think I've read that using prazi with copper in the tank can cause bacterial bloom.
i have a hang on back but had no mechanical filters or sponges and i also do not have a power head in tank, should i have one ? what kind of sponges should i use?

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
i have a hang on back but had no mechanical filters or sponges and i also do not have a power head in tank, should i have one ? what kind of sponges should i use?
I use the sponges in my back filter that came with it. It's just to pick up extra food the fish miss.
I also have 2 small powerheads.
One pointed down towards the bottom to keep food and detritus from collecting there. One pointed to the waters surface for extra o2 exchange.

blkhwkz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The cloudiness is possibly a bacterial bloom from the Oxybispropanol in the prazi pro and the Cupramine. Definitely need a powerhead or airstone for O2 exchange.

Prazi only needs 24 hours to work, so you could put some carbon in to remove it after that on the 2nd dose.

OP
OP
scott11106

scott11106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The cloudiness is possibly a bacterial bloom from the Oxybispropanol in the prazi pro and the Cupramine. Definitely need a powerhead or airstone for O2 exchange.

Prazi only needs 24 hours to work, so you could put some carbon in to remove it after that on the 2nd dose.
ok, that is great info, i knew i was doing something wrong. the filters that came with the 55 are preloaded with carbon so i will need to find out if they sell regular filters. any recommendations on powerheads for a 55, i have ecotech on main but they might be overkill for qt.

blkhwkz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok, that is great info, i knew i was doing something wrong. the filters that came with the 55 are preloaded with carbon so i will need to find out if they sell regular filters. any recommendations on powerheads for a 55, i have ecotech on main but they might be overkill for qt.

I just use an old Jebao I had sitting around. I typically run an airstone with a 150 gallon air pump in my 29 gallon QT. Probably overkill, but it works.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I buy aquarium sponge off ebay for the aquaclear 500 filters and cut them down, when I need to replace the stock ones.
Any sponge at petco or petsmart will do.

If the filters you were using at the time you dosed prazi or copper had carbon in them, they may have diluted the chemical to below therapeutic levels.

OP
OP
scott11106

scott11106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I buy aquarium sponge off ebay for the aquaclear 500 filters and cut them down, when I need to replace the stock ones.
Any sponge at petco or petsmart will do.

If the filters you were using at the time you dosed prazi or copper had carbon in them, they may have diluted the chemical to below therapeutic levels.
good info, i was not using any sponge or filter ;Nailbiting
that was part of my problem and i also was not using a powerhead so O2 and waste was the issue

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 43.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 22.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 31.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back