Quarantine tank not an option... What is next best process?

oceaninabox12345

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ummm... No. I love Koran angels... a friend has one the size of a dinner plate... gorgeous. In a reef tank? They'll snack on your corals, and harass your less aggressive fish to death. Sounds like you've already figured that out :)
He was stunning, but killed everything.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you haven't gotten your fish yet.... The best thing you can do to skip QT is to buy a captive bred fish directly from the source.

You mentioned a orchid dottyback and this is a good example. If you order on live aquaria it will be shipped directly from ORA. You could also order from a LFS.... Even Petco and be very clear you want to pick up the fish still in the bag so it doesn't touch possibly infested water in their tanks. They should know the day and rough time they get fish in. Call them that day to remind them to keep it in the bag and be ready to pick it up.

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could've been a little defensive in my initial post and mentioned that if I had a massive tank with a ton of fish I'd certainly get a dedicated quarantine, no question about that.

It's a combination of space and cost. There isn't a lot of extra space in my one bedroom apartment with a fiance, dog, cat, and fish tank. But I also figured I'd end up spending around $100 minimum to setup a little 10g quarantine which is pretty pricey considering I'd only use it for probably 1 fish in the next couple years.

Well my thinking was that I should be proactive instead of waiting to see that he is sick but unable to catch him in my rockwork. My thought was that doing a medicated dip would help reduce the chances of dealing with something in the tank.

Sure thing, I have 2 clowns and 1 randall goby. I'd only add one more fish at most to system and it's only 30g so it would be some type of fish that does well in that size tank. Perhaps something like an orchid dottyback.

Maybe I should get some reef friends lol that would be nice.

Thanks I appreciate you saying that :)

Check Craigslist I just picked up a complete used freshwater 10G setup for $20 to raise some baby clowns. I even got the stand with it. People get these and get bored with goldfish and practically give them away.
481D7138-5EB8-419F-8D76-016446135DDD.jpeg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 19.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 43 51.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.6%
Back