Quarantine tank

Chrispelletier62

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am cycling my née tank and wondering if I need or should set up a small quarantine take for new fish? I have never done this in the past. If so any recommendations...
Thanks
9DD4BCB9-4FB3-4ACC-B50C-8DE2880D67DE.jpeg

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do the 36 hour TTM method as per Humblefish.

Chbix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im cycling a 180 currently, have a 5g set up and am currently quarantining some chromis. Once the 180 is cycling, I will be tearing down my 40 and using that as a QT since I want to have some bigger fish and the 5g I dont think will be big enough. I am following the humble fish QT protocal but not the tank transfer, 14 days of copper at 2.5ppm and 2 doses of prazipro along with some manaflex doses.
A QT is simple, a tank, a HOB and a heater is really all you need. Some PVC pieces for hiding spots and thats it. I had the benefit of some bio media that was seeded so I didnt have to cycle but you could use a bacteria in a bottle to instant cycle. I lost all my fish in my 40 to brook because of 1 fish i didnt QT... Not trying to make that mistake in my 180.

wenliu51

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice tank! I love what you have done to protect the carpet :)

I highly recommend QT. I have a 10g, which is manageable, especially since I water change with all fish coming in to slowly increase salinity (My LFS runs hypo). Once the QT is running it just becomes routine to keep your fish healthy coming in and also have an emergency hospital tank to place sick fish.

sanzz18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am starting a new build and want to incorporate quarantine into my reefing this time around. I got lucky in the past but it really is a peace of mind.

ReefLab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I set one up and im very grateful to not have any fish disease nor any coral pests like flatworms or aiptasia.

I set up two ten gallon tanks with fluvial HOB filters and an air pump for the fish quarantine. Copper and the hanna copper colorimeter.

I personally only treat with copper for 10 days for fish and I observe coral for 45 days and dip them every week or so in coral RX and Bayer.

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A quarantine tank is best. You do not want to introduce a disease into your display tank. Plus, if you do get a disease in the display, getting it out means removing the fish and letting it stand fallow for something like a dozen weeks. Since quarantine tanks are pretty barebones and can be pretty small and simple, it is good to have one. Plus, you will probably want one later anyway.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 19.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 16.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 39 50.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 10.4%
Back