Quarantining fish from Diver’s Den

Corgigirl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, looking for recommendations. I purchased a White tail Bristletooth tang from Diver’s Den, she arrived today in apparently good shape. Swimming actively, even nibbled at a bit of food. I’m pleased so far.
From what I understand, Diver’s Den does a minimum of 2 weeks in quarantine, sometimes longer depending on the fish. They are maintained in water with 0.15ppm copper, unclear whether all fish are bathed in formalin or if that’s only as needed. Their website makes it sound like all fish. It also appears that all are dewormed by feeding prazi and metronidazole in frozen food.
I plan on keeping the tang in quarantine for at least two weeks before she goes in the DT. My question is, do I treat with copper? Deworm again with general cure to be safe? Open to any and all opinions! Thanks all :).

JCM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything I've bought from them has been top notch. That said, I've read overall they've gone downhill in the last year or two since being bought.

I'd probably observe for a couple weeks just to be sure, but copper isn't very harsh on fish so you could if you wanted.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, looking for recommendations. I purchased a White tail Bristletooth tang from Diver’s Den, she arrived today in apparently good shape. Swimming actively, even nibbled at a bit of food. I’m pleased so far.
From what I understand, Diver’s Den does a minimum of 2 weeks in quarantine, sometimes longer depending on the fish. They are maintained in water with 0.15ppm copper, unclear whether all fish are bathed in formalin or if that’s only as needed. Their website makes it sound like all fish. It also appears that all are dewormed by feeding prazi and metronidazole in frozen food.
I plan on keeping the tang in quarantine for at least two weeks before she goes in the DT. My question is, do I treat with copper? Deworm again with general cure to be safe? Open to any and all opinions! Thanks all :).

Two weeks at 0.15 isn't therapeutic so it is up to you if you want to risk it or not. Yes, this fish could be carrying disease if that is the question. DD fish are not really disease free, more like conditioned, and even DD/LA says to QT fish from them.

mottomegl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Divers den only conditions there fish there fish from what i have read they typically don't use any medication even in there website they say to quarantine there fish
There are not many companies that quarantine I know personally tsm aquatics does cause I personally have seen there operation and they have refused to sell me fish cause they were not done quarantining the fish I wanted

JCTReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a few vendors out there that would follow the same quarantine method as I would. I would trust them more than any others.They sell fully quarantined fish if that’s what you’re after in the future. Those are listed on Humblefish’s Website under useful links.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Coppersafe and :
Follow 80% of bottle recommendation
Have a good reliable test kit
Maintain good water quality in the QT

OP
OP
Corgigirl

Corgigirl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, they don’t claim to fully quarantine their fish. They do say on their site that they run copper at 0.15ppm (which is a bit low). That’s why she went into quarantine and not directly to my DT. I have another few fish coming from TSM in a couple of weeks, I was planning on putting them right into the DT.
My question at this point was not whether to quarantine, but do I treat prophylactically or just observe for another two weeks.

JCTReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you’re using copper. Any kind of copper. I’d highly recommend a Hanna checker for that. They’re highly accurate without playing the guessing game of standard test kits.

OP
OP
Corgigirl

Corgigirl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you’re using copper. Any kind of copper. I’d highly recommend a Hanna checker for that. They’re highly accurate without playing the guessing game of standard test kits.
I have Copper Power and a Hanna copper checker, so treating and testing isn’t a problem if I decide to go that route. Seems like the consensus is to go ahead and treat.

JCTReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never hurts to observe a bit longer. My thing would be, I’d always have that doubt. What if it’s harboring something without showing any outward symptoms. I’ve never been a fan of disease management personally. Lol. It would be a role of the dice. Depends on your tolerance for risk. Haha!!

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have Copper Power and a Hanna copper checker, so treating and testing isn’t a problem if I decide to go that route. Seems like the consensus is to go ahead and treat.
I quarantine all DD fish, but observation only. Not personally a fan of the medication ‘craze’. Treat if you see; observe otherwise.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 43.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back