Quarantining Thoughts

StPatrick89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I now had a convict tang. Saw he had swollen lips. So I went to catch him to quarantine him. Interestingly enough he got stressed out by this and I’m assuming even more by getting put into the QT. This was last night. Woke up this morning and he’s dead. I really feel I should’ve left him in my display. I seeing more and more in this hobby that STRESS is more of a killer than any disease. When it comes to new fish and QT, I’m of the mindset now to just fresh water dip or hydroplex for 10mins or that quick stop 2 hour method, so they can go into the DT instead of the added stress of isolation. Your thoughts?

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry about your loss.

I'd avoid Convicts. They are super hyper, constantly swimming, constantly need fed with all day nori to nibble on.

You did your best on a difficult fish.

I've tried two different times on Convicts, both didn't last a month... and I've been caring for Tangs for 15 yrs

OP
OP
StPatrick89

StPatrick89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry about your loss.

I'd avoid Convicts. They are super hyper, constantly swimming, constantly need fed with all day nori to nibble on.

You did your best on a difficult fish.

I've tried two different times on Convicts, both didn't last a month... and I've been caring for Tangs for 15 yrs

Interesting feedback. Never knew they were difficult to care for. Any other reasons?

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting feedback. Never knew they were difficult to care for. Any other reasons?
I know they are usually the first tang to get sick when kept with other Tangs.

I think they are so hyper that they burn more calories than any other tang. They are constantly swimming every inch of the tank, never seem happy in a particular territory.

I think its a disservice to keep one bc watching their behavior they seem like it's unfair to keep them in captivity. Like owning a Greyhound in a 500 Sq ft apartment.

When it comes to Tangs, a healthy tang is a happy chilled out tang browsing about in a calm manner.

Convicts seem like they're always jacked-up swimming around like race cars.

If a tang is to get sick, they'll be the first.

OP
OP
StPatrick89

StPatrick89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pics of the convict

Attachments

• 4D41BD5F-C59F-4FAF-9F47-F7E26F11D7FF.jpeg
    4D41BD5F-C59F-4FAF-9F47-F7E26F11D7FF.jpeg
    113.5 KB · Views: 42
  • F2F3B3C3-B0F8-4B9B-B6CD-697F56E3D266.jpeg
    F2F3B3C3-B0F8-4B9B-B6CD-697F56E3D266.jpeg
    86.3 KB · Views: 47
OP
OP
StPatrick89

StPatrick89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know they are usually the first tang to get sick when kept with other Tangs.

I think they are so hyper that they burn more calories than any other tang. They are constantly swimming every inch of the tank, never seem happy in a particular territory.

I think its a disservice to keep one bc watching their behavior they seem like it's unfair to keep them in captivity. Like owning a Greyhound in a 500 Sq ft apartment.

When it comes to Tangs, a healthy tang is a happy chilled out tang browsing about in a calm manner.

Convicts seem like they're always jacked-up swimming around like race cars.

If a tang is to get sick, they'll be the first.

I can attest to what you’re saying. Mines definitely did laps around everyone else. As you said he was never satisfied in one area.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with you, stress is a killer for fish. Personally, I follow a 'leave it alone' strategy, it usually works out for me, and for the fish. Its likely that your fish just made the mistake of trying to eat a bristleworm, or something else that it shouldn't have tried to eat. Sorry for your loss.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like maybe a mouth infection... not totally uncommon for Tangs.

I have QT many fish and most make it through just fine. Copperband, leopards, China wrasse, radiants and so on. I did hybrid TTM so a new tank every 3 days.

That fish may have died either way. Since we know it was injured or possibly had an infection. It’s hard to say if the cause of death was really stress alone. If you had left it and it still died... you would be like.. dang I should have QT it.

Last edited:

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it is a stretch to blame the death of a sick fish on the stress of QT. He was sick obviously thats why you moved him.

Not saying the stress is good for them, but seems to becoming common to blame the death of sick fish on QT. In any case I dont view QT necessarily as being for the sick fish, but rather to protect healthy fish.

OP
OP
StPatrick89

StPatrick89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like maybe a mouth infection... not totally uncommon for Tangs.

I have QT many fish and most make it through just fine. Copperband, leopards, China wrasse, radiants and so on. I did hybrid TTM so a new tank every 3 days.

That fish may have died either way. Since we know it was injured or possibly had an infection. It’s hard to say if the cause of death was really stress alone. If you had left it and it still died... you would be like.. dang I should have QT it.
I get you but at the same time I think the stress of trying to get it out of the tank is a major factor. Then new environment. I used the same exact water it was in previous. Water transfer

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get you but at the same time I think the stress of trying to get it out of the tank is a major factor. Then new environment. I used the same exact water it was in previous. Water transfer

Did you treat it with anything?

If not, then there probably was no point in catching and moving it. At least not until the meds arrived.

Last edited:

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see no particular reason QT should be stressful for a fish. If ‘isolation’ is stressful, how about aggression from an existing population of fish.

Convict is trickier than generally known. I don’t find them particularly ‘hyper’, but they do come in quite thin, often emaciated. Requires substantial, uncompetitive access to lots of food to recover that weight. Some are already too far gone. I have had a few over the years, including a Mauritius zebra. Was able to get three out of four to survive long term. The fourth just would not eat. All went through my QT system.

OP
OP
StPatrick89

StPatrick89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see no particular reason QT should be stressful for a fish. If ‘isolation’ is stressful, how about aggression from an existing population of fish.

Convict is trickier than generally known. I don’t find them particularly ‘hyper’, but they do come in quite thin, often emaciated. Requires substantial, uncompetitive access to lots of food to recover that weight. Some are already too far gone. I have had a few over the years, including a Mauritius zebra. Was able to get three out of four to survive long term. The fourth just would not eat. All went through my QT system.
Capturing them is stressful for sure. Your fish don’t turn colors? Especially if it’s extensive? Also, since you’ve had a few, ever experience one that develops some type of over growth of it upper lip? I put pictures in the thread a while ago. I was told it was some type of bacterial issue or fungus. My coral beauty also had a white upper lip. I was trying to treat those two

lefkonj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
QT or Not to QT, so many sides here. Over the years I have tried QT'ing fish with mixed success. Some die in QT, guess better than in display tank. Others die a few days after going into the display tank and others are fine. I have also bought fish that look fantastic and are eating like pigs put them right into the display with out issues.

Having said that I would only buy QT'ed fish now. Places offer this and it isn't a significant uplift of cost, so I am happy to get a fish that I know has been healthy and eating for 4-6 weeks.

Patman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I now had a convict tang. Saw he had swollen lips. So I went to catch him to quarantine him. Interestingly enough he got stressed out by this and I’m assuming even more by getting put into the QT. This was last night. Woke up this morning and he’s dead. I really feel I should’ve left him in my display. I seeing more and more in this hobby that STRESS is more of a killer than any disease. When it comes to new fish and QT, I’m of the mindset now to just fresh water dip or hydroplex for 10mins or that quick stop 2 hour method, so they can go into the DT instead of the added stress of isolation. Your thoughts?
Oh boy, good luck sir. If you think a nice quiet QT with boosted nutrition to build up the immune system and acclimating them into your routine and water parameter are stressful, then wait until you start dipping a stressed fish in FW and further stressing the slime coat then tossing them into a display with existing livestock and territories. You and your fish are about to have a bad time.

The whole point of a QT is to limit the stress as much as possible so the fish can have the easiest transition to tank life as possible. I think your looking at this all wrong.

Last edited:
OP
OP
StPatrick89

StPatrick89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh boy, good luck sir. If you think a nice quiet QT with boosted nutrition to build up the immune system and acclimating them into your routine and water parameter are stressful, then wait until you start dipping a stressed fish in FW and further stressing the slime coat then tossing them into a display with existing livestock and territories. You and your fish are about to have a bad time.

The whole point of a QT is to limit the stress as much as possible so the fish can have the easiest transition to tank life as possible. I think your looking at this all wrong.
Well I think it’s based on experience. Some people have success and some don’t. Some people that have been in the hobby for decades say don’t QT, and some do. Based on my experience QT hasn’t worked, and to me trying to catch them and get them out of the DT is too stressful. It may change in the future

Patman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I think it’s based on experience. Some people have success and some don’t. Some people that have been in the hobby for decades say don’t QT, and some do. Based on my experience QT hasn’t worked, and to me trying to catch them and get them out of the DT is too stressful. It may change in the future
I'm just genuinely curious how a person could come to a conclusion that QT is more stressful than a DT, are you pre medicating? What's your QT process and tank set up?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back