Quarentining Captive Bred Livestock?

RobertTheNurse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,

Allo from Canada. Where our supply of meds for our fish friends is now resorted us to less than favorable methods, eg. My friend faked a really bad yeast infection to get me some Metronidazole lol.

Anyway, I have managed to get my hands on: metro, prazilro, and cupramine (thanks to a fellow reef2reefer).

At the beginning of my journey into this hobby, I never had a quarentine tank. I currently have 4 fish, 2 clowns, a goby, and royal gamma...who thus far HAVE NOT shown any symptoms of disease (phew)...but since than I've only added coral to my tank. Now that I've had a quarentine tank just running on its own over the last few months...i really have my eye on Bangghi Cardinal. I know our local store sells the Captive Bred...is the best method when buying fish even if Labelled "Captive Bred" to still Quarentine and prophylactic treatment?

Just looking for a few to chime in on this before I get back to adding fish.

Lets also be clear...so far I've medicated humans and not fish lol so still out of my comfort zone lol

Rob

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Captive bred or not, they can still pick up and carry any disease/parasite. If you QT and/or medicate all others, it’s a good idea to follow that regimen for any fish added to your tank.

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed. At least quarantine, and treat accordingly. I prophylactically treat for ich and velvet since they're relatively prevalent and can do a number on the fish population via the TTM. Depending on what you have/want to have , you might also want to prophylactically treat for other things. Example: if you want to keep chromis, then maybe also start treating for uronema, etc.

TerraFerma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely do it. Many CBB fish are raised in ocean water. And CBB fish raised in aquariums can go through many hands before they make it to you.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 38 52.1%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 39 53.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 15 20.5%
  • None.

Votes: 18 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.2%
Back