Queen Angelfish with fang- like protrusions on lips

howdoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

Need help with figuring out what is growing on its mouth. I've attached a pic, along with two videos of it swimming (one where there is a cube of mussels on the floor that it looks at and simply swims away) - and that is the concerning part that it has lost interest in eating (cubes, flakes) even though it will approach and then turn away.

Tank (Fowlr) parameters are good (0 ammonia and nitrite; 8.2ph, 82 temp). The only thing I'm fighting is high nitrates that I've been doing daily water changes to decrease with the belief that, maybe, whatever this is is exacerbated by the nitrates. Only other fish in the tank is a wrasse that is eating. Both do not have any other spots, marks, not flashing, darting, irregular breathing. Haven't treated it with anything as I have no clue what it could be to treat.

Thank you! 20231012_153911.jpg

Attachments

• 20231012_160858.mp4
    40.8 MB
  • 20231012_154129.mp4
    28.9 MB

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would consider it a 'variant'. Do the teeth ever go back in? If not - it is just the way that fish is (unless that fish has been different before)?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hi,

Need help with figuring out what is growing on its mouth. I've attached a pic, along with two videos of it swimming (one where there is a cube of mussels on the floor that it looks at and simply swims away) - and that is the concerning part that it has lost interest in eating (cubes, flakes) even though it will approach and then turn away.

Tank (Fowlr) parameters are good (0 ammonia and nitrite; 8.2ph, 82 temp). The only thing I'm fighting is high nitrates that I've been doing daily water changes to decrease with the belief that, maybe, whatever this is is exacerbated by the nitrates. Only other fish in the tank is a wrasse that is eating. Both do not have any other spots, marks, not flashing, darting, irregular breathing. Haven't treated it with anything as I have no clue what it could be to treat.

Thank you! 20231012_153911.jpg
This looks to be a mouth injury either picking on rock or mechanical damage. Queen/grey/french and blue angels have mouths with a thin band of brush-like teeth that are protected by the upper skin layer of its mouth.
Is it breathing normal or labored?
Is it eating ?

You may have to treat with Seachem neoplex or maracyn two if it does not retract and heal properly

OP
OP
H

howdoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bristleworm?... interesting. Tho' haven't seen any in the tank (not to say that it's not possible)

It is breathing normal and not labored. But, it is not eating. That's what spurned me to reach out.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bristleworm?... interesting. Tho' haven't seen any in the tank (not to say that it's not possible)

It is breathing normal and not labored. But, it is not eating. That's what spurned me to reach out.
I agree with @vetteguy53081 , those are its teeth. They are protruding due to having gotten snagged on something. I see it most often if angelfish that got snagged in a net, but I imagine there are other ways it could happen.

I’m not sure what you can do for it really other than to give it time. Does it even try to go after food?

Jay

OP
OP
H

howdoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does. But as it approaches the food it seemingly "changes its mind" and swims on...

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does. But as it approaches the food it seemingly "changes its mind" and swims on...
I thought I could see it looking for food in one of the videos. Can you try dicing the food into smaller pieces?
Jay

OP
OP
H

howdoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know, what's interesting is that the mussel cube that was on the floor in one of the videos, I let it sit in a cup of tank water to soften it up in the hope that it would be easier to eat. Rather, small pieces started to chip off when the wrasse was picking at it. Unfortunately, it did not take to the small pieces floating around and that's when I started this post.

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bristleworm spines?
It's happened to my fish when they got too curious.
Bristleworm spines are much finer than the "fangs" on your angel, though.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 146 57.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back