Question about a YWG and Pistol pair

DoomervilleG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a young 32g biocube setup, and beyond the 2 clowns , some CUC and a cleaner that I currently have in the tank(1 of the clowns is currently in QT going through his pre-treatment). The Yellow Watchman Goby is really the fish that got me interested in moving away from my FW tanks, but I've read mixed things about pistol shrimp, and I would really like to get a pair. A: I've read that YWG needs minimum 30g, but I've also red they need bigger, B: and also mixed things about pistols, now this would be a YWG paired with a Randalli pistol, I'm curious if anyone has had any experience in this area? I'd really like to have a pair, but I'd feel bad if the pistol started murdering my hermits and snails.

CavalierReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have a YWG but I have a Wheeler's goby paired with a Tiger pistol shrimp and I have several/various snails and crabs in the tank. I make sure the shrimp gets fed but I've never seen him get aggressive. Today one of my Peppermint shrimp and the pistol were sharing a burrow as if they were friends. I have 2 scarlet shrimp and 2 peppermints in a 32g Biocube co-existing peacefully (at least for now) with the Tiger pistol. However, your mileage may vary. :)

Attachments

• Bart and Ruger IV_edited.jpg
    Bart and Ruger IV_edited.jpg
    177.6 KB · Views: 34

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have a goby yet (will be getting a Randall’s) but I do have a tiger shrimp. Not aggressive and hasn’t harmed any of my inverts (besides dragging the occasional hermit under to later escape). I do recommend you fasten any corals down, specifically those in the sandbed. Every morning I find my plugs tipped over and have to fix them.

OP
OP
DoomervilleG

DoomervilleG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't currently have any coral in the sand bed, as I have 2 tiger conchs in the tank, and they are basically dump trucks. I suppose I should consider them in the equation also.

jskoms

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a Tiger and YWG pair, very entertaining but really got tired of the constant rearranging. Seemed like everyday I was having to clean up after them.

Calm Blue Ocean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have both a Tiger and a Randall's (in different systems).

Like other people have commented, I have found my Tiger Pistol Shrimp to be quite peaceful. When he does accidentally grab a hermit or snail as building material he promptly tosses it out (I guess things that move aren't so useful as structural supports). My YWG rarely leaves his side and is also quite peaceful but can get defensive when anyone gets too close. Be prepared, there will be sandstorms. My shrimp will dig up about everything in my 50g when it's getting close to molting time. All the same I really enjoy having the pair, the relationship is amazing to watch.

My Randall's Pistol Shrimp is with a pair of Yasha gobies in my 10g but I've only had it a short time so not a lot of experience yet. It's super tiny so doesn't make nearly the mess that the Tiger does. So far it seems peaceful enough but he sure snaps up a storm at feeding time and the bristle worms come out!

Back