Question about dosing supplements through top off water?

The_Skrimp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi folks. So I know that you shouldn’t mix your alk and calcium 2 part up in your top off water because one will cause the other to precipitate. I also know that rate of evaporation isn’t exact so it won’t be exact amounts dosed if done through top off water, but…

what about for supplements that don’t need an exact amount? Things like iodide, iron, nitrates, potassium etc. or even magnesium if I want to raise my mag levels over the next few days. I like to test and add a few ml of most of these supplements listed every once in a while to make sure they stay present or at proper levels in my water because all for reef doesn’t keep up with some of them.
So i figured - Why not stretch that dose out over the next few days by dosing it through my auto top off instead? I can avoid adding all at once that way. My concern is some of these supplements interacting in the way calcium and alkalinity do causing some reaction I’m not aware of.

anyone know if this is safe?

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi folks. So I know that you shouldn’t mix your alk and calcium 2 part up in your top off water because one will cause the other to precipitate. I also know that rate of evaporation isn’t exact so it won’t be exact amounts dosed if done through top off water, but…

what about for supplements that don’t need an exact amount? Things like iodide, iron, nitrates, potassium etc. or even magnesium if I want to raise my mag levels over the next few days. I like to test and add a few ml of most of these supplements listed every once in a while to make sure they stay present or at proper levels in my water because all for reef doesn’t keep up with some of them.
So i figured - Why not stretch that dose out over the next few days by dosing it through my auto top off instead? I can avoid adding all at once that way. My concern is some of these supplements interacting in the way calcium and alkalinity do causing some reaction I’m not aware of.

anyone know if this is safe?
I have done this a number of times. As long as you are not exceeding the amounts you would normally dose I think you will be completely fine. The amount of interactions you might get IF these supplements were to come in contact with a recently dosed alk / ca would be negligible.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would say those supplements you listed do need a specific dose.

This.

I don't think are many, if any, supplements we shouldn't be following exact doses on. In regards to magnesium, you can dump in quite a bit at one time and not shock anything. No reason to slowly incresae it over many days. 100ppm jump won't harm anything

OP
OP
The_Skrimp

The_Skrimp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have done this a number of times. As long as you are not exceeding the amounts you would normally dose I think you will be completely fine. The amount of interactions you might get IF these supplements were to come in contact with a recently dosed alk / ca would be negligible.
Thank you! That's helpful.

I would say those supplements you listed do need a specific dose.

Not the way I'm doing it. If my nitrates for example hit 2 and I want them to be 5, I'd rather dose the amount of nitrates I need to raise that number into my top off so it's released over a couple of days instead of dosing the full amount all at once into my display. Dosing about 2ml of iodide every four days or so in my top off keeps my levels at around 0.02 without any serious swings. I'm mostly just asking if dosing these things together at the same time in my top off will cause a negative reaction.

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it is doable, as long as you can calculate a good estimate on what is getting dosed.

Let's just take something like a BCAA product for example. You need a reasonable estimate of
1) evaporation amount
2)How much you need to dose
3) How much do you need to add to the ATO container to get the correct dosed amount

Hypatheitical Tank
-50g water volume
-Evaporates 1g a day
-10ml dose of BCAA daily
-10g ATO container

You'll need to add 100ml of BCAA to the ATO container to get 10ml dosed into the tank.

Now, I think something that may be overlooked is how to keep the solution mixed so the bcaa doesn't separate out inside the ato. A small wavemaker like jebao slw10 or sicce voyager nano would probably get the job done.

I think it is doable, I think long term success with this method would be dependent on mixing consistent batches liquid to make sure you're not changing the dose substantially. I would also stick with thing's that won't nuke your tank if the ato sticks on, and things you're tank can do without if the ato stays off.

OP
OP
The_Skrimp

The_Skrimp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Pntbll687
Thanks for the response. I didn’t even think about the possibility of these things separating in my ato container. That’s definitely something I’ll have to consider.

I never dose more than my tank needs. Honestly most of the things I would dump in there would be things I’d be comfortable with dosing all at once. I just like the idea of a slow release using my ATO to achieve that.

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! That's helpful.

Not the way I'm doing it. If my nitrates for example hit 2 and I want them to be 5, I'd rather dose the amount of nitrates I need to raise that number into my top off so it's released over a couple of days instead of dosing the full amount all at once into my display. Dosing about 2ml of iodide every four days or so in my top off keeps my levels at around 0.02 without any serious swings. I'm mostly just asking if dosing these things together at the same time in my top off will cause a negative reaction.
Test out what you want to mix in a smaller container, and make it proportional to the ATO and proportional doses of what you want to use.

You just need to test and make sure whatever you're adding together doesn't precipitate out, cause bacteria build up on the ato water surface, discolor the water or container. I would mix it up and let it sit for a week or so and see what happens to it.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ions on your list can be dosed this way, but I do not recommend it for iodide or iron, both of which can change chemical form when diluted and exposed to air. In the case of iron, it may become insoluble, and in the case of iodide, it can become iodate which may not be as bioavailable.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back