Question about leveling a aquarium properly.

poojan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 6 ft tank I’m working on re-setting. Bought the tank second hand and it came with live stock so the day I moved it into my place was a bit hurried, but while I made sure the stand was as level as I could get it the tank had an overall tilt that meant water was about two inches higher on the left of the tank than on the right. Mathematically worked out I figured it was about .5 degrees off level and figured it was probably fine but As I’m resetting the system I was wondering if it might be worth it to get something like a self leveling mat, just for peace of mind. Any thought or experiences? Any other ideas for how I might be able to get this leveled out?

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 6 ft tank I’m working on re-setting. Bought the tank second hand and it came with live stock so the day I moved it into my place was a bit hurried, but while I made sure the stand was as level as I could get it the tank had an overall tilt that meant water was about two inches higher on the left of the tank than on the right. Mathematically worked out I figured it was about .5 degrees off level and figured it was probably fine but As I’m resetting the system I was wondering if it might be worth it to get something like a self leveling mat, just for peace of mind. Any thought or experiences? Any other ideas for how I might be able to get this leveled out?

If it is a rimless tank it will require a leveling mat between the tank and stand. However, overall the tank should be made level by adjusting the bottom of the stand with shims or some other method. A tank that size should be absolutely level or you will never have peace of mind.

5altkreep

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+2 shim it between the floor and the stand.

A 2" difference would scare the heck out of me! I'm also wondering how it could be that far off. Have you made sure the floor can support that much weight?

Aquavaj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2" is a lot and I too would be worried. Is this a rimmed or rimless tank? If rimless then very likely you'll want a mat between tank and stand.

Did you check the stand to see if it there aren't any high spots?

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2" in a 6' span is pretty bad, you will want to level that properly as it can place uneven pressure on panels.

Shims at floor under stand is commonly used to correct this, and in this extreme out of level many will rip 2x's and make somewhat of a large shim type adjustment.

FWIW I actually once lived in a place that was 2" out in a 4' run, so it's not the worst I've heard or seen, but it should be corrected.

Post pics if you can for best advice on solving issue.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back