Question about nitrates and phospates

Eleni18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all. My tank has been running for about 4 years now, always with nitrates around 10-20 and well discernable phosphates. I have always been battling nitrates in all kinds of ways. In the last year I have been adding nopox and also a big nitrax sponge and seachem matrix in my sump. No change. I finally gave up on the nopox about 2 months ago and, although keeping up with bi weekly water changes, I have neglected to test the water for about a month now. I tested yesterday and oh...surprise! Nitrates are down to almost zero and so are phosphates!!! Can anyone explain this sudden change?

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My guess would be the nopox was supressing biological and microbial processes which utilize nitrogen and phosphorus. Keep in mind we can only test for disolved inorganic forms of nitrogen and phosphorus (DIN, DIP). We can't test for particulate or dissolved organic forms of nitrogen or phosphorus (DON, DOP). Your system is likely processing the same amount and might be processing MORE nitrogen and phosphorus as before. I would not be surprised if you see better growth in the coming months.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 11 36.7%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 9 30.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 4 13.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 6 20.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back