Question about Spectracide Stump Remover dosing

TheSaint216

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Few starting shots. can post pics in a month and see what happens. Trying to keep my nitrates between 2 and 5 with a salifert kit. Figuring 75 gallons with tank and sump. Sump has undersized skimmer, Tunze 9004. Chaeto, Ulva and Blue Ochtodes in sump.

eOD0mKj.jpg

3MHUJyc.jpg

e5oLHuH.jpg

RTHFyoS.jpg

XrshGl1.jpg

o7eTV5k.jpg

69DETxV.jpg

TivOvdF.jpg

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By looking at the pictures I really don't see the need to increase nitrates. The colors look fine and it seems like you're getting good growth.

bneufelder

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is an insane difference in color for two weeks. I have dosed flourish nitrogen in my frag tank for the last few days at very low levels and just changed to this method. I'm excited to see the results. My main tank is a bit starved like the pictures above and most new acros bleach out and then slowly recover. My frag tank almost all acros are very, very pale.

Never thought a method would drive nutrients so slow we would have to dose.

reef_junkie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Isn't there an easier way to retain nitrates. I have the same issue with softies. I decreased my daily skimming time from 20hrs/daily to 10 hrs/daily and that seemed to do the trick.

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Isn't there an easier way to retain nitrates. I have the same issue with softies. I decreased my daily skimming time from 20hrs/daily to 10 hrs/daily and that seemed to do the trick.
I wish mine was that easy. I was not skimming at all, fed 6 times a day with rods, fed twice a night with either reef roids or coral frenzy and had 14 fish in a 40 breeder. Even with all that going on my tank still had no nitrate

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That impacts more than nitrate, however. :)

veselym

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO dosing potassium Nitrate is safer than throwing an insane amount of fish food in your tank/overstocking...I would think food and adding more fish could potentially harm your tank in so many more ways than adding a little potassium

I have had 5 different SW tanks in the past 2 years and have never been able to register N03 until now, I notice a difference immediately...The coral that benefits the most is my candy cane, as soon as I dosed the feeders came out and it puffed up 3X its size

hawkinsrgk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following along. My nitrate has been .2 for the last couple of weeks. May try this to get it up to .5 to see if I can get some of the benefits that were explained earlier.

Thank you for this post
Randy

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think you will see any difference at all between 0.2 and 0.5

Russ265

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Russ265 any thoughts
I would agree not much change from .2 to .5
Is best to maintain Redfield ratio?
nah. i see paling occur below 2ppm and once you start dropping below 1.... it goes downhill within days depending on how strong your lights are.
.2 and .5 is way too small for no3. po4 is different because photosynthesis is needed 16 times less and makes a bigger difference.

no sps will die between 2-5ppm no3. if your lights are too weak... go to 2. if they are strong go 5. if you happen to have the actual sun hanging over your aquarium go 20.

its all a balancing thread.

-as a note my advice is just that. mine.

jpines

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going to pick some of this up today. Thanks to SFG for pointing me in direction of this thread. My nitrates have dropped from 4-5ppm last month to undetectable. My sps have have started looking bad as well as losing PE. Hoping to see a drastic change after dosing

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Russ265 any thoughts
I would agree not much change from .2 to .5
Is best to maintain Redfield ratio?

IMO, the ratio in the water does not relate to the Redfield Ratio.

In other words, the ratio of things an organism takes up should not be reflected in the concentrations in the water.

For example, corals take up way more calcium than magnesium, and roughly the same calcium as "carbonate" and yet there's way more magnesium and way less carbonate relative to calcium in seawater. :)

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So maybe we should be shooting for around 3ppm? I know sea water is around that number

Surface seawater (where reefs are) is typically less than 1 ppm, and often less than 01 ppm.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 12 37.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 12 37.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back