Question About Sump Flow and Mechanical Filtration

Theodin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, new here to R2R. I've been in fishkeeping for a long time, but mostly freshwater. I recently converted to a saltwater setup and things are going fairly well so far. I have one minor issue that I was hoping I could ask about to see if anybody has faced the same problem:

I have the Trigger Sapphire CR44 Sump, with a Sicce 1450GPH return pump. The overflow and plumbing are all working fine (smooth operation, silent), however when the water drains into the sump and over the mechanical filtration area, the water only really seems to ever hit the 1st of 3 filter socks (see picture). I'm wondering if there is something I should change in terms of the sump configuration, or perhaps I need a stronger return pump so that the water would flow over all 3 fairly quickly before it has time to drain straight down through the first? Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks!

IMG_0915.jpg

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The filter floss is disrupting this. Remove the filter floss (not really needed if you're running filter socks) and when one filter sock starts to clog up the water will automatically flow into the other two.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 71 53.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 50.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 30 22.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%

Back