Question about T slot aluminum tank stand

Yanari

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’ve got a 90 gal and I’m interested in making a stand out of aluminum. Standard size that’s close to my tank size is 48” but my tanks max length is 48.5”. Short version of my question is this…do I need to find extrusion that is greater than 48” and cut it down to exact size? Has anyone built a stand with 48” for a 48.5” tank? Is there a fix” plywood on top? Do tell. TIA.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
.5” is .25” on each side. 2x 3/4” plywood and you will be good, rimmed aquarium?

OP
OP
Yanari

Yanari

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya no problem with plywood
Sorry, I’m a bit dense tonight, we’re talking about cutting plywood to spec and setting it on top of the tank? Or fixing it to the outer edges on both sides of the tank and resting the tank on the frame that way?

I’d want to put plywood on top of the frame anyways so it’d almost be like incasing the frame in plywood on top and then on both sides, if I understand you correctly.

OP
OP
Yanari

Yanari

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both ideally. The top for edge to edge level surface and the vertical faces for additional strength.
Probably going to do this, sadly standard size is 48” so I’m left with this as my solution in order to have a cost effective option. Thanks for the sounding board lol

OP
OP
Yanari

Yanari

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks to everyone who chimed in. I’ve been sitting on/mulling the diff ideas over the last day and night…does anyone have any experience with, or educated opinions on using 2040 without a center brace? I was thinking of doing 2020 without a center brace but I prefer to over-compensate on stability. I’ll be using extra corner gusset type metal “L” brackets on every corner than would benefit from one, and probably doing “T” brackets for top and bottom middle brace pieces to run parallel.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
You can get your profiles cut to size so no reason to buy large cut off and throw away a piece.

I find tnutz.com the cheapest and have shopped there many times for different projects but my main stand was designed/built by framingtech due to internal connectors that you just cant do without proper machining setup.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 162 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.7%
Back