Question about the dry mix of Core 7 a and b

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s not that it’s hard but say my measuring is off by the way triton comes right now I know for a fact that 2ml adds .1 dkh to my tank if I mix it any differently 2ml could equal .15 instead of one then the next time I mix up a batch it could equal .09 and I’m steady changing my dosing rates something I rather not do because I don’t have to do it now.
So if u think it’s because I’m trying to be difficult it’s not it’s that I’m trying to make it constant with the way it is now as I enjoy the simplicity of doseing the same amount of all four products so I can quick look and see if everything is ok by all of my dosing containers being at the same height. I don’t like the spray and pray approach and from my past experiences I am not good at constitantly measureing the same amount of fluid so if there is a way to make measuring easier I want to know how from triton.
I have a bunch of the old plastic containers but I don’t see how (without weighing it) I could add the same amount of water to it every time as those containers didn’t come filled to the brim.
So I guess what it comes down to is I’m ok with the change to powder as I know the triton method works I just want to reproduce the same results that I have had with the plastic containers and milk cartons and if u think that I’m being difficult u obviously have never seen me measure anything.

:) You take it to serious. Now in the time of the soccer World cup - we have to learn to take some things with a "klackspark" as we say in Sweden (closest English expression - back-heel :)
Your demand of alkalinity will differ with the total bio load of stony corals. You will have to adapt your dosing anyway. The problem you can get is to get a little different reference frame the first run but if you fill exactly the same after the first new batch – it will not be any problem. But if weight is a better option – maybe tim can give us information for the total weight of both the old bottles and the milk cartoons. With my knowledge of automation and measurement – I´m sure that the factory has these weights. Knowing the right weight of a proper filled container – plastic bottle or milk carton - should make it easier for me too.

Sincerely Lasse

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:) You take it to serious. Now in the time of the soccer World cup - we have to learn to take some things with a "klackspark" as we say in Sweden (closest English expression - back-heel :)
Your demand of alkalinity will differ with the total bio load of stony corals. You will have to adapt your dosing anyway. The problem you can get is to get a little different reference frame the first run but if you fill exactly the same after the first new batch – it will not be any problem. But if weight is a better option – maybe tim can give us information for the total weight of both the old bottles and the milk cartoons. With my knowledge of automation and measurement – I´m sure that the factory has these weights. Knowing the right weight of a proper filled container – plastic bottle or milk carton - should make it easier for me too.

Sincerely Lasse
Maby I am taking it to serious but I don’t feel I am.

I understand as the Corals grow I will need to up my doseing but as of right now i know what to change my doseing to.

So if my alk was 7.8 yesterday at this time and I test right now and it is 7.7 I know I have to up my doseing by 2ml that’s what I’m trying to reproduce
405AE991-6C2B-43C1-A0CD-3ED3B968B25D.jpeg
this the white paper

I’m prolly making it bigger then it is but I don’t like doing things twice

Either way sorry if it seems like I’m being a PIA not my intentions at all
Just trying to get it right the first time

tastyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s not that it’s hard but say my measuring is off by the way triton comes right now I know for a fact that 2ml adds .1 dkh to my tank if I mix it any differently 2ml could equal .15 instead of one then the next time I mix up a batch it could equal .09 and I’m steady changing my dosing rates something I rather not do because I don’t have to do it now.

So if u think it’s because I’m trying to be difficult it’s not it’s that I’m trying to make it constant with the way it is now as I enjoy the simplicity of doseing the same amount of all four products so I can quick look and see if everything is ok by all of my dosing containers being at the same height. I don’t like the spray and pray approach and from my past experiences I am not good at constitantly measureing the same amount of fluid so if there is a way to make measuring easier I want to know how from triton.

I have a bunch of the old plastic containers but I don’t see how (without weighing it) I could add the same amount of water to it every time as those containers didn’t come filled to the brim.

So I guess what it comes down to is I’m ok with the change to powder as I know the triton method works I just want to reproduce the same results that I have had with the plastic containers and milk cartons and if u think that I’m being difficult u obviously have never seen me measure anything.

Hey, not suggesting anyone is *being* difficult Justin, simply that I think people can over think things. If you fill a container to a known level, it will have the same volume of substance in it. So simply measure 1000ml of water pour into the bottle and mark the level (or use a measuring jug). Empty, add the powder, then the RO to the mark.

Last edited:

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You'd need to be off by a lot to affect the dosing concentrations by the magnitudes you're describing.

Let's assume that if you mix up the solution perfectly and make exactly 1L of solution, 2 mL gives your tank 0.1 dKh of alkalinity. Your hypothetical situation where 2 mL adds 0.15 dKh to your tank would mean that the solution would need to be 50% stronger than stock. To get a solution that's 50% stronger, you'd need about 667 mL of total solution instead of 1L. You'd have to be downright awful at measuring to make a final solution volume of 667 mL instead of 1L.

Let's also assume that we make your theoretical batch of solution where 2 mL gives you 0.09 dKh instead of 0.1 dKh. In this scenario, you'd need to make a final solution volume of 1,111 mL. This is smaller than being almost 400 mL off as we were with our first example, but even with a measuring cup, you're going to notice if you're adding 111 mL extra RO/DI.

If we assume your glassware is really inaccurate and you're off by 25 mL every time you make the solution, remember that 25 mL is only 2.5% of 1 liter. At most, you'll be off by +/- 2.5%. Which means that instead of dosing 0.1 dKh, you'll be dosing 0.0975 dKh on the low end, or 0.1025 dKh on the high end. Unless you have some incredibly sophisticated measurement equipment, you're not even going to be able to detect this change.

Last edited:

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'd need to be off by a lot to affect the dosing concentrations by the magnitudes you're describing.

Let's assume that if you mix up the solution perfectly and make exactly 1L of solution, 2 mL gives your tank 0.1 dKh of alkalinity. Your hypothetical situation where 2 mL adds 0.15 dKh to your tank would mean that the solution would need to be 50% stronger than stock. To get a solution that's 50% stronger, you'd need about 667 mL of total solution instead of 1L. You'd have to be downright awful at measuring to make a final solution volume of 667 mL instead of 1L.

Let's also assume that we make your theoretical batch of solution where 2 mL gives you 0.09 dKh instead of 0.1 dKh. In this scenario, you'd need to make a final solution volume of 1,111 mL. This is smaller than being almost 400 mL off as we were with our first example, but even with a measuring cup, you're going to notice if you're adding 111 mL extra RO/DI.

If we assume your glassware is really inaccurate and you're off by 25 mL every time you make the solution, remember that 25 mL is only 2.5% of 1 liter. At most, you'll be off by +/- 2.5%. Which means that instead of dosing 0.1 dKh, you'll be dosing 0.0975 dKh on the low end, or 0.1025 dKh on the high end. Unless you have some incredibly sophisticated measurement equipment, you're not even going to be able to detect this change.
Thanks for the math makes me feel a little better about my ability not to mess up

tastyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thank you for doing the maths so I didn't have to. I was thinking about how to pen that same post. You did a better job than I would have... :)

OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Either way sorry if it seems like I’m being a PIA not my intentions at all

Not think you are at all - it has been a important discussion - exactly the way that i wanted it to. Now - because your obstinacy:) - I had to think over the whole thing twice, someone else did the math and Tim will have a tread to link to when he will be attacked in not so civilised treads like this :) This is learning the internet style.

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well put Lasse, couldn't say it better. Have a nice day. Till next time.

Thanks

You should have a nice day . I will have a nice evening - 17:45 for the moment and waiting for next word cup game

Sincerely Lasse

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice, I gotta go fix a client's a/c. Must be nice. Sweden v Germany very soon. I'm waiting for Mexico v Korea . German's said "what a milonga", about Mexico v Germany. What a dance. Other words what a match.

Last edited:

Breadman03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A graduated cylinder will be your friend here. I would measure out slightly less water than Triton is calling for. They say 960ml for now, so maybe put in 940 ml, then mix in the powder. You should end up needing to add another 20ml to get to 1000ml.

Graduated cylinder.
Also, a magnetic stirrer could make for easy work. I'm no lab rat, so maybe someone with experience could chime in as to whether a magnetic stirrer works well in a graduated cylinder, or whether you would want to mix in another vessel.

Tim@Triton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys good debate :D

We are currently looking to source some mixing cups like these...

I think they may be available in BRS? Will have to check.

But yes, it can be overthought but it really is quite simple when you look at it. The 960ml is an approx value of how much RO you will need to make up 1L, but if you use slightly more or slightly less it won't really make that much difference in the grand scheme of things. If you use too much then your Alk solutions will be slightly weaker but it would need to be quite a lot more before you would notice anything with your dosing.

Use a mixing container (ideally with a 1000ml mark) add the powder then continue to add the RO mixing as you go until you reach 1000ml, there is no need to heat as the chemical reaction will create some heat, once all the powder is in suspension allow a couple of minutes to clear.

That's it.

tastyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem with plastic, however, they are multi-use. The problem is single-use ;)

Switch to shipping two types: Starter packs (in plastic bottles, with a fill to line) and refill kits, made with awful cartons... Problem solved. :)

Tim@Triton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Switch to shipping two types: Starter packs (in plastic bottles, with a fill to line) and refill kits, made with awful cartons... Problem solved. :)
We are way ahead of you, remember the duck analogy, it may look to those on the outside that we are sitting still, but when you look beneath the water line we are paddling furiously. There is a lot going on behind the scenes.

Vincent100

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just off to my lfs to see if they have restocked yet , last time I went all they had was 1, 2 .
So should be doing my first mix of the powder form today ..... hopefully :)

tastyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are way ahead of you, remember the duck analogy, it may look to those on the outside that we are sitting still, but when you look beneath the water line we are paddling furiously. There is a lot going on behind the scenes.

Lol, that’ll be a swan, Tim lol

But great to hear!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back