Question - Anyone remove glass from sump in JBJ 65?

Mrfd217

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a JBJ 65 and wanted to know if anyone has removed one of the glass sump separators? If you did remove one, why and how did it work out?

Thanks in advance!

Brett S

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have a JBJ 65, but I did remove a glass partition from my own DIY sump. I used a razor blade to cut the silicone holding the partition in place along the sides and bottom (being careful to try to avoid damaging the silicone in the corners). After going over it a few times I could feel that it was starting to loosen, so I kept rocking it back and forth as I kept working to cut the silicone and I was finally able to get it free. Then I used the razor blade on it’s edge to remove as much silicone residue from the sides and bottom of the sump as possible.

It actually was a bit more difficult than I was expecting, but it wasn’t too bad. I did drain the sump to do this (and took the opportunity to clean out the sump at the same time) but it probably could be done with the sump full with a bit more effort.

OP
OP
Mrfd217

Mrfd217

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have a JBJ 65, but I did remove a glass partition from my own DIY sump. I used a razor blade to cut the silicone holding the partition in place along the sides and bottom (being careful to try to avoid damaging the silicone in the corners). After going over it a few times I could feel that it was starting to loosen, so I kept rocking it back and forth as I kept working to cut the silicone and I was finally able to get it free. Then I used the razor blade on it’s edge to remove as much silicone residue from the sides and bottom of the sump as possible.

It actually was a bit more difficult than I was expecting, but it wasn’t too bad. I did drain the sump to do this (and took the opportunity to clean out the sump at the same time) but it probably could be done with the sump full with a bit more effort.
Thank you for your reply to my question. I would use your advise if I find out by removing one of the chamber partitions wont cause issues to my sump in the back of my JBJ. I have a skimmer that I'm wanting to put in it but wont fit without taking one of the glass panels out.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 43 42.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 21.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back