Question for people with one-spot foxface

Peter Houde

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a question for you if you've had a one-spot foxface long enough to read how their color reflects their mood. Obviously, they change color a lot. When I first got mine two and a half months ago, it was pretty freaked out in quarantine along with a powder brown tang and it would go tiger-striped or altogether pale at times. It was most often the expected one-spot on yellow you always see in pictures once it was in the display tank. But over the past several days or more it has been pretty consistently all black above and yellow below and constantly flashing his quills. It doesn't matter whether another fish is anywhere nearby. If I could say there was a dominant fish in the tank, then he'd be the one. He can monopolize the nori. He's certainly not being harassed by any other fish, and it's pretty rare that I've seen him push any other around though he does go all porupine if anyone gets too close except during a feeding frenzy. So, what's up with the black above? What does that signal? What's his mood?

DSC_0012_small.JPG DSC_0007_small.JPG

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine always looked like a mushy-banana, without rhyme or reason. The yellow was dull when all other yellow fish were vibrant. It was also scared of his own shadow. I finally deemed it my least favorite / most disappointing fish and replaced it. Just being blunt. :(

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got one, but have not seen that pattern.
He was one of my first fish and I put him in the tank sooner, before acclimation was finished, as he was pale and striped. Daughter told me that is normal for them. Also told me about the irritating spines after I got whacked.

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine always looked like a mushy-banana, without rhyme or reason. The yellow was dull when all other yellow fish were vibrant. It was also scared of his own shadow. I finally deemed it my least favorite / most disappointing fish and replaced it. Just being blunt. :(
Ouch, don’t mess with Jumbo Shrimp or you’ll be banished. :)

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My fox face had the black band when swimming with my powder blue tang. Wonder if it means something passive. I don't have pics, or the pbt. Fox face no longer displays the band. So, i don't really understand

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a question for you if you've had a one-spot foxface long enough to read how their color reflects their mood. Obviously, they change color a lot. When I first got mine two and a half months ago, it was pretty freaked out in quarantine along with a powder brown tang and it would go tiger-striped or altogether pale at times. It was most often the expected one-spot on yellow you always see in pictures once it was in the display tank. But over the past several days or more it has been pretty consistently all black above and yellow below and constantly flashing his quills. It doesn't matter whether another fish is anywhere nearby. If I could say there was a dominant fish in the tank, then he'd be the one. He can monopolize the nori. He's certainly not being harassed by any other fish, and it's pretty rare that I've seen him push any other around though he does go all porupine if anyone gets too close except during a feeding frenzy. So, what's up with the black above? What does that signal? What's his mood?

DSC_0012_small.JPG DSC_0007_small.JPG
My one spot looks exactly like yours and does the spine flicking thing in the evenings. Mine always has this dark black band except when it sleeps - I hope it doesn’t mean that it’s mad all the time

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It by far is my best algea grazer. Turf hair bubble its all on the menu. They flash the spines in flow or other fish get to close. They are a spoky fish

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It by far is my best algea grazer. Turf hair bubble its all on the menu. They flash the spines in flow or other fish get to close. They are a spoky fish
I’m jealous of yours, mine won’t touch bubble algae :rolleyes:

>>klong<<

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine went through a phase where he had that solid black stripe across the top. I chalked it up to new tank instability or just the fish being unaccustomed to the tank. He's usually very yellow now, but his spot is kinda bird shaped - not a nice little circle. He is also a pig and eats anything, especially algae scraped off the glass.

M Stein

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe that the juveniles are less yellow. The color fills in more as they mature.
What size is the Foxface?

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, great. @sfin52 just reminded me that my Foxface wouldn’t touch algae— except for expensive sheets of Nori. So much for a “utility” fish! At 8” he took up a lot of real estate in the tank, and I didn’t think I was getting a good return-on-investment. Lol!! :(

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, great. @sfin52 just reminded me that my Foxface wouldn’t touch algae— except for expensive sheets of Nori. So much for a “utility” fish! At 8” he took up a lot of real estate in the tank, and I didn’t think I was getting a good return-on-investment. Lol!! :(
Now you’re rationalizing. Sure sign of guilt. :)

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know what to tell you. Mine is a pig. Nori and sea lettuce. Won't even let me clip it before attacking it

adittam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have any of you had any problems with your foxfaces nipping at corals? It's on my "maybe" list for my planned tank upgrade...

Wick3d_1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could be just adjusting. My bi color's tail was pale yellow for the longest. Now, it's a bright happy yellow against it's mostly black body. Foxfaces are moody and they show it

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have any of you had any problems with your foxfaces nipping at corals? It's on my "maybe" list for my planned tank upgrade...

I’ve had my foxface almost a year and so far it hasn’t touched a coral.... or bubble algae... the reason I got him *sigh*

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never seen them eat bubble algae .
but grazes on everything .
In the veggie clip his fav is cucumber slices , nori ,

they go camo when stressed or when sleeping .
I have read one spot can change their spot and not specifically a round spot. .
It can be a stripe as well

Amazing fish .IMO

don’t get stung .
hurts like nothing you could ever imagine .

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back