Question For Yellow Coris Wrass Owners

reeftankdude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The wrasse is about an inch and half. I have it in my 20 gallon nano. Would like to have it in a 100 gallon before the end of the year. Once placed in the tank the wrasse buried itself in the substrate. It has been there all day. When will it come out to eat? Thanks all

wrasse.PNG

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is common for a lot of the sand burying wrasses , it will sleep in the sand everynight . It will come out when it feels comfortable , dont panic and definatley dont try to "find" it
This. Give it time, it needs to acclimate to your lighting schedule.

stovenut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 20g tank is not a good living environment (not even short term) for a yellow coris wrasse. They make very sudden and fast movements in the water and need a big tank to avoid injury. In a 20g tank the wrasse will not be happy. Will likely try to jump out or will injure itself banging into the glass or the rock work. You better start cycling that 100g tank or offer it to a reefer with bigger tank.

OP
OP
reeftankdude

reeftankdude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 20g tank is not a good living environment (not even short term) for a yellow coris wrasse. They make very sudden and fast movements in the water and need a big tank to avoid injury. In a 20g tank the wrasse will not be happy. Will likely try to jump out or will injure itself banging into the glass or the rock work. You better start cycling that 100g tank or offer it to a reefer with bigger tank.
Yeah, if there is a problem I will take it back to LFS for a credit. Studied it for a while at the LFS while it was in a 10 gallon. Seemed calm and in no way aggressive towards the other fish. His/her new tank makes are a very passive purple fire fish and a small chromis that ignores the fire fish.

stovenut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, if there is a problem I will take it back to LFS for a credit. Studied it for a while at the LFS while it was in a 10 gallon. Seemed calm and in no way aggressive towards the other fish. His/her new tank makes are a very passive purple fire fish and a small chromis that ignores the fire fish.
It's not aggression. It's just a funny fish. It's so easily startled and responds by darting or jumping out of the water. Please have a screen top or glass lid to keep your yellow coris safe. Mine is in a 135g tank and when startled it shoots through the water so fast that it scares the other fish including 4 good sized tangs. I have seen mine bump his fish nose on the screen tops a few times. Best 15 dollars I ever spent.

Jbell370

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got one 3 weeks ago and enjoy its character. First few days couldn't find it anywhere, found it had gone down the overflow to the sump so I fished it out and placed back in the main display, it went in the sand again, finally it came out and now follows my six line all over. I have not seen it come more than half way up the tank, cruses in and out of the rock along the bottom. Tank is 72x30x24 lots of room for him.

codenfx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah it's normal. I have the silver belly yellow wrasse, I believe they're similar. Mine would hide in sand for 3 days the first time I put it in the tank. Now that it got use to the tank, he comes out at 8am and sleeps at 10:30pm everyday. Sleeps better than me lol

OP
OP
reeftankdude

reeftankdude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He just came out of the sand. Very peaceful with the purple fire fish and chromis. Just observing how the wrasse treats my snails. Had no problem eating flakes. It will like my fire fish get use to me coming close to the glass. It really is a stunning fish with those black spots on it's body and those yellow eyes. Will this wrasse eat feather dusters added to the tank?

Last edited:

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
He just came out of the sand. Very peaceful with the purple fire fish and chromis. Just observing how the wrasse treats my snails. Had no problem eating flakes. It will like my fire fish get use to me coming close to the glass. It really is a stunning fish with those black spots on it's body and those yellow eyes. Will this wrasse eat feather dusters added to the tank?

the bigger they get, the bigger their confidence gets. mine is about 3inches and he occasionally nips at my nassarius snails(both vibex and tonga!). they also say once they get bigger they might nip at feather dusters. i have a coco worm in my tank and i haven’t personally seen my YCW nip or pick at it, but i can see that it’s missing a few “feathers”

DrMMI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I first added mine to the reef, he immediately went into the sand and I didn't see him for a week. I thought he was a goner but then I came downstairs one morning and there he was swimming around like nothing happened. Now he's very regular. Comes out 10 mins before lights on and goes into the sand an hour before lights off.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the bigger they get, the bigger their confidence gets. mine is about 3inches and he occasionally nips at my nassarius snails(both vibex and tonga!). they also say once they get bigger they might nip at feather dusters. i have a coco worm in my tank and i haven’t personally seen my YCW nip or pick at it, but i can see that it’s missing a few “feathers”
Atleast yours is only nipping your CUC. My radiant teams with my jade to assassinate my CUC! I only replenished them a few weeks ago and now I’m down to like half of what I added.

Ricox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any thoughts on how deep the sandbed needs to be for a yellow coris wrasse? Is it fine to just have it deep in some places so that it can just dive into that section as needed?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any thoughts on how deep the sandbed needs to be for a yellow coris wrasse? Is it fine to just have it deep in some places so that it can just dive into that section as needed?
I have my sand bed rather “Shallow” at the front and deep at the back. At the back it’s probably 2.5-3 inch deep and at the front it’s probably 1.5-2 inch deep.
The wrasses mainly go to sleep round the back but in my nano my sandbed is rather even throughout and the leopard doesn’t care. She will dive into the sand bed round the back due to it being more secure though.

For any sand sleeper I’d recommend a starting sandbed of 1.5-2 inch deep then depending on max size and diameter just add to it every so often.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 29.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 36.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 26.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back