Question on Aqua UV 40 watt sterilizer.

zatchyvsalt

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 6, 2023
Messages
88
Reaction score
46
Location
Zephyrhills
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a 40 watt UV Sterilizer for my 170 gallon tank. I recently changed the bulb and quartz sleeve. Everything seemed normal for a day or two until I realize that the bulb was not working. I unplugged it and took out the bulb and realized the sleeve broke during installation and was leaking into the transformer connector. (Connector was burnt and had a burnt smell)

I ordered a new connector (and sleeve and bulb) to connect back to the wire which I did today. I plugged it in and the housing was making almost like a crackling bubbling sound. I unplugged immediately and realized there is liquid in the actual transformer itself. How did that happen? Did the water push through the wire sleeve and into the transformer housing when it was plugged in with the cracked quartz sleeve?

I purchased a new transformer but wanted to hear some opinions on the matter.

Just for visualization I posted a picture below of where I found the water.

IMG_1221.jpeg
 
Not sure about the crackling noise and how water got in there. But, it seems like a regular problem that these transformers go bad very easily. I've had to replace two of them!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 7 23.3%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 4 13.3%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 7 23.3%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 6.7%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 2 6.7%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 2 6.7%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 6 20.0%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new