question on flow

Rommelboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am running a 150gal mixed reef with 4 neptune wave pumps. Should I run the pumps at high output 24/7 or dial it down when the lights are out? Does SPS still require high flow during non-photosynthetic hours? Thanks in advance!

Corals.com

Spare time

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
The corals are still respiring at night and the flow is the only way for them to get oxygen when the zooxanthellae is not photosynthesizing. I would continue with decent flow at night.

OP
R

Rommelboy

View Badges
Reaction score
The corals are still respiring at night and the flow is the only way for them to get oxygen when the zooxanthellae is not photosynthesizing. I would continue with decent flow at night.
I've been running my pumps at 40-50% at night. Do you think I should go back to 90-100% as when the lights are on or somewhere in between?

Spare time

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I've been running my pumps at 40-50% at night. Do you think I should go back to 90-100% as when the lights are on or somewhere in between?
I am not sure what the minemum % would be, but I think that if you have constant variation, that is ideal. I personally would have my pumps up at night to help the corals resperate since this process occurs regardless of time.

OP
R

Rommelboy

View Badges
Reaction score
I am not sure what the minemum % would be, but I think that if you have constant variation, that is ideal. I personally would have my pumps up at night to help the corals resperate since this process occurs regardless of time.
ok, I will keep the flow up even at night. Thanks again.

How confident are you that your skimmer is the right skimmer for your tank?

• Very Confident

Votes: 174 40.5%
  • Somewhat Confident

Votes: 149 34.7%
  • Not Too Confident

Votes: 47 10.9%
  • Not Confident At All

Votes: 21 4.9%
  • I Don't Use A Skimmer

Votes: 32 7.4%
  • Other (please explain in the thread)

Votes: 7 1.6%