question on flow

Rommelboy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I am running a 150gal mixed reef with 4 neptune wave pumps. Should I run the pumps at high output 24/7 or dial it down when the lights are out? Does SPS still require high flow during non-photosynthetic hours? Thanks in advance!

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The corals are still respiring at night and the flow is the only way for them to get oxygen when the zooxanthellae is not photosynthesizing. I would continue with decent flow at night.

OP
OP
Rommelboy

Rommelboy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The corals are still respiring at night and the flow is the only way for them to get oxygen when the zooxanthellae is not photosynthesizing. I would continue with decent flow at night.
I've been running my pumps at 40-50% at night. Do you think I should go back to 90-100% as when the lights are on or somewhere in between?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been running my pumps at 40-50% at night. Do you think I should go back to 90-100% as when the lights are on or somewhere in between?

I am not sure what the minemum % would be, but I think that if you have constant variation, that is ideal. I personally would have my pumps up at night to help the corals resperate since this process occurs regardless of time.

OP
OP
Rommelboy

Rommelboy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not sure what the minemum % would be, but I think that if you have constant variation, that is ideal. I personally would have my pumps up at night to help the corals resperate since this process occurs regardless of time.
ok, I will keep the flow up even at night. Thanks again.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 48 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 21.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back